Monday, November 29, 2010

Sanity at Christmas...

I love, love, love this post at Simple Mom today on Staying Sane at Christmas.  I could not agree more with it.... and I have tried as hard as I can each year to keep Christmas as stress-free on all of us!!!!  I DO say no a lot... and I hope I don't hurt people's feelings, but I'm sure I do!!!!

I have made a comittment to "not split the day" on holidays. That means, Thanksgiving... Easter... Christmas... you get the idea. I don't start out at one family's and go to another... or god-forbid, three or more places! I think it's just insane!  You end up staying for a short time only and pissing people off anyway, so you might as well say not to begin with!

But, more importantly, it's just so freakin' stressful on you, your husband, and especially your kids!  Kids hate being dragged from one location to the next. Just when the settle in and start playing with whatever toys they got from that house... or whatever kids are there.... you say "time to go to Aunt Bla-Bla's now!!"  And if they're anything like my kids, they will probably whine and pitch a fit.

That said, maybe your kids are super easy-going and this works for you. I am not one to judge what you feel you need to do for you.... rather, I am sharing what works for us.  My kids are NOT easy-going.  I'm certain this is no news flash to any of my readers.  ;-)  So... Scott and I make decisions to cause the least harm to ourselves on holidays!  :-)))))

We have a lot of holiday parties this year it seems!  We are going to what we can... but saying no to what we must!  For instance... we already comitted to a party on Dec. 18 (Saturday) and then, found out Scott's work party is the 17th. So, I will stay home for that and he will go.  I don't think we have to pawn our kids off on a babysitter two nights in a row. To say nothing of the fact that it would cost a fortune!  Pick and choose. Rearange and do what you can, in the least stressful way for you... your hubby and your kids. 

Put your immediate family first. That's my motto!  Me, my hubby and my kids..... so if I say no to you this holiday season... I hope you don't take offense.... just understand that I can only do so much!!!!!!!!

1 comment: