Saturday, November 20, 2010

Day Twenty: I am Thankful for Date Night Tonight!

Twenty days into my month of being thankful and today I am super thankful and looking forward to a date night with my hubby tonight!!!  I can't remember the last time he and I went out.  Just the two of us.  Yummy dinner. Talk. NO KIDS!  We were trying to do date night at least once every other week, but things get busy... and we're down to one sitter... we MUST do a better job at this. I think making date night happen, making time for you to go out as a couple with NO kids is as important as anything you can do for your marriage and your family period!

So, we need to get back into the routine and make it a priority.

Tonight we are going to Nightlife here in Jackson. It's a small bar/restaurant that I always forget about but that has great food and drinks!!! Then, we are SO excited to check out the new piano bar downtown... so that's where we are headed after dinner!  Very much looking forward to it!

My mom is in town, so we have a FREE babysitter. HOORAY!  :-)  Another hard thing about date night... the additional $50 you have to pay a babysitter!  I need to find some other sitters as well.  We are down to one, Spring Arbor University grad who is doing her student teaching.  She will likely leave us soon if/when she finds a new job! We already lost a couple to college after last year.

Anyway.... just really looking forward to the night out. As an added bonus... I am thankful to this time right now, because Scott just took both kids to run some errands, including going to the pet store for some new fish.  So, the house is quiet. And, I am drinking some more coffee and enjoying writing this.  :-)

A couple weeks ago, Luke threw a ball and smashed Ally's fish tank. That was a fun morning. (sarcasm people... lots of it!). Water EVERYWHERE.... filled up the top drawer of her dresser.  Had to wash every article of clothing in her dresser.  Take it all apart to dry it.  Not to mention.... save fish as they came out the hole of the tank at breakneck speed!  Ally was screaming cuz her "fish were gonna die".... Luke was screaming from the chaos of it all.... Scott went running so fast to get something to catch the water that he slipped (wet feet!) and fell in the hallway, bashing into the wall and creating a hole in the wall..... was a fun Saturday that was!  :-)))))))

So, one fish survived and has been living in a rubbermaid container.  I am interested to see what kind of getup Scott comes back with.

And to see if Luke is up to the challenge of finding a way to destroy this one too.  :-)  Boys.....  ;-)

I gotta say people... this daily posting of something I am truly thankful for has been so refreshing!  I find myself focusing on the positive more and more.... and finding ways that I am thankful over and over again!  I find that I have put the focus on the good and less emphasis on the challenging... or what one might consider "bad."  I just find that I FEEL better all around about the everyday things... about life in general.  I might not stop after November is done...... this has been such a great little exercise!  Not to mention, the fact that I so enjoy reading what everyone else is thankful for! Whether on Facebook or their blogs!

I can't believe next week is Thanksgiving!  Probably my favorite meal of the year!  YUM!!!!!!!!

Until then.... I will be thankful for this peaceful time just the two of us, Scott and I... before the week of crazy, family fun!!!!!

Happy Saturday everyone!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I think focusing on the positive is great! See you soon! Mom

Anonymous said...

I think you're doing great!!! We take so much for granted and don't take enough time to really be grateful. Life goes by way too fast and before you know it you're on to a new phase...I think taking the time to reflect on the positive helps slow things down a bit and helps put our lives in a better perspective. Keep up the good work Nicki, I am so very proud of you and Scott both. He sounds like a real gem...no wonder Ben always liked him... Love you all, Aunt MJ