Sunday, November 14, 2010

Day Fourteen: I am Thankful to be Working Toward a More Simple State of Being...

Whew!!!!  Yesterday we did some MAJOR cleaning!!!!  Let me tell you... it felt AMAZING!!!!  I have never been big on keeping things around. I am always cleaning out closets... weeding out clothes and shoes... getting rid of toys.... you name it.  I am big on getting rid of things we don't really need or use. But, lately, I have been reading about and planning on taking that feeling to a higher level.  Not only a simple house.. but a more simple state of mind... of being... a way of life.

I am not a simple person....  I am not saying I'm going to start growing my own food and making all my clothes. :-))))  No. That will never be me. But, there are things in my house and in my life that weigh on me.  Weigh me down and prevent me from living a life that is fulfilling in every way.  I am lucky enough that my hubby feels the same way!  He is so supportive in my quest to get rid of "stuff!"

So, after stumbling upon the blog Simple Mom and then, reading her other pages and ordering her book and just loving her message... we started working through the house... first mentally, then talking it out and then, on Saturday.. we dove right in!  We started with the room that gives me the most stress - the playroom!!!!!!

Seriously. Kids do not need that many toys!!!!!!!  And we had more than our fair share. The play room overwhelmed me daily.  I didn't want to pick anything up because there was SO much freakin' stuff I couldn't even begin to put it away or organize it. I would tell the cleaning lady to just avoid it, so I didn't even have the pressure to pick it up.  Then, there were the kids... who probably felt the same way I did.... it was so overwhelming, they hardly played down there at all!

So... out it all went. I would say 3/4 of the SHIT that was in there... was taken OUT!!!!  And what is left behind... are the toys that are loved... that we have ALL the pieces of... and that all fit on the shelves that are in there.  Oh my good god... it feels so good!!!  It's a room I can actually sit in now and feel peaceful. I can stay on top of keeping it picked up because there is a place for everything and everything has its place.

While we were in the basement..... we made a few other key changes in our life. The biggest change by far was we took the TV out of the great room on the main floor of our house... and put it in the basement. That's right folks... there is no TV in the room we actually spend the most time in. TV. Another thing that weighs on me.  I hate that the kids flip in on in the morning before school.  I hate that I use it as a crutch and a babysitter for them so I can do what I want to do.  Don't get me wrong. I think there is a time and a place for TV.  I don't think it's evil and want to ban it... I just want it to stop being the center of our "living room."  So..... we are going to try this for a while.  The TV went downstairs... and we have watched a movie and some shows down there... we all go down together as a family, and mostly, the kids want to play in the play room anyway for the last 24 hours anyway!

We did some cleaning out of some more of the basement... and I posted about 15 items to Craigs List. I haven gotten emails on three of the items already and one is already gone!  Wooo hooo!!!!!  Every bag and item that leaves my house feels so cleansing to me........ I feel weight lifted with each thing that goes out the door.

So... once the TV was gone.... Scott wanted to rearrange the furniture in the living room!  He started in while I was in the shower this morning... and just now, we seem to have gotten it exactly how we like it. It's open, inviting... and the furniture is arranged to encourage us to talk and see one another... not all around a TV. There is a couch on the wall that our TV has sat for EIGHT years.  Scott was sitting there this evening and said "this is cool... I am sitting in a spot in our living room I have NEVER sat!"  It gives you a whole new perspective. It's like a new room.  A new home of sorts. It feels really, really good.

It's exciting!!!  Embarking upon getting rid of so much. There are things we keep put away in closets and in back rooms.. that while mostly out of sight... are not out of my mind. The fact that these areas are full to the brim with crap... weighs me down.  I'm ridding myself of this excess weight and I'm getting rid of anything and everything that is not "useful or beautiful" to me. To us. To the kids.

The kids played an active part in everything we did yesterday. They watched as each and every item went in a bag. They made their peace with it. Said their goodbyes.  These kids do not want for anything. Ally, in a way only she can... shocked me by saying... "I know these things will go to a little girl who's mommy can't afford to get her as many toys as I have because I know they sell them cheap at the goodwill right mom?"  :-)  Right Ally.... you have a good heart my girl.

Going forward, I want to make a conscious effort to think about the things I bring into my house too!  I am going to be careful about what I buy, not only for myself, but for the kids... for our household.  I have always been big on quality over quantity... but even I get caught up in the moment of something being on sale or a great deal! I can't tell you how many items of clothing I have ready to go that I bought on sale cuz they were a great deal! A great deal? Really..... I hardly wore them!  Then, there's the sweater I paid a huge, full price for... that I covet and love... and wear weekly because it's so well made and comfortable I can't imagine not owning it.  I could have not purchased a sale sweater or three and bought that one no problem.  Quality.  Fewer, well made items.  Nice things......

Even the nice dining room table is coming back up into my kitchen... cuz come on! What am I saving it for????? I have spent years... EIGHT years keeping it hidden and covered..... what good is it doing me???? I'm going to use it. Daily. Admire it. Love it.  Enjoy it!!!!!

I'm going to "use the good china" (this is an expression for me... I own NO good china!).... each and every day.......

Life is simply too short to do anything else!!!!

I challenge you to LIVE life my friends.  Uncover the good table.  Buy the nice sweater you've been drooling over.  And throw away the crap that weighs you down...............

Happy Sunday everyone!  Here's to a great week!  Keep it simple... but make it beautiful!!!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your definitely inspiring me...I've been trying to get rid of stuff for so long. You're right it does weigh on you. I found out what my problem was signing up for google...when I would type in my birthdate, I wasn't putting January as a double digit. I just put in 1. I'm telling you, I am really technically challenged....I must have filled out the whole form 20 times before I figured it out...this is definitely much easier. Well, good luck with your purging and if there is anything that you need let me know because I probably have three or four of it somewhere in this mess. One of these days, I will be organized and have everything in its place but I don't know when that will be...I just keep putting one foot in front of the other and take my boxes and bags to drop off at St. Vilncents' on my way home from school. By the way, where are you moving to?

Nicole said...

OOH I just linked over to her blog... I must start reading. And I am So going to start a purge like that! I would LOVE to have a less cluttered house and spend less time organizing it!!