Three days a week, Luke and I get in the car and drive a few minutes over to my Mother and Father-in-Law's house. Three mornings a week, Luke is excited not only to see his Grandparents, cuddle with Nana, go to the Library with Papa, but also to see his best friend in the whole world, GRACIE! (Or Fracie as he calls her). I think he even enjoys seeing the babies too. ;-)
My in-laws have watched my kids since the day I went back to work, after being home for five months with Ally. Back then, it was just my Mother-in-Law that was home with Ally each day. I also worked full-time then. So, every day... Five days out of her week, my Mother-in-Law, spent the day with Ally... from five months on to almost 2 years of age... when I decided that both Ally and Mom needed a little break! Ally needed to start learning how to interact with other little ones her age. There were no cousins yet. It was just Ally and the adults (this explains A LOT!!!!). And, I wanted Mom to be able to actually have a day or two each week to do the things she needed to do!!!
So... things went on like that for years.... Ally never went to pre-school for more than three days a week. A couple days each week, she still went to my in-law's. Then, Grace and Luke came along, not too far apart... and Ally went to Kindergarten!!! Luke and Grace started going every day... and Ally joined them after school each day!
I didn't go part-time until March of last year. There were many factors that influenced my decision, but Scott and I truly wanted to ease up on the time committment we received from his parents. They do SO VERY MUCH for us... and frankly, it was starting to wear on us too!!! ;-) We felt a lot of guilt asking for so much of there time... so when the perfect storm came along that allowed me to go part-time... it was a blessing in so many ways! Not that we were unhappy with the care they gave our children... but we just wanted to lessen that burden of having to watch them each and every day.
I want my in-laws to truly enjoy my children and have that chance to spoil them!! And, I think they feel that. We have struck a great balance between the time they spend with Luke (not as much Ally anymore with school!!!) and the time they don't have to watch him! This eases some of our feelings of guilt and allows us to be more at peace with what we all do together. Know what I mean?
Those days of the week that Luke gets to go over there.. he just loves. He and Grace just play the day away in their own little world of make believe. Their little bond is pretty cute to witness. All their poor other cousins or friends... when the two of them are together... there is no one else around. They have even been known to lock us out of the room! :-))))) What characters they are.
I know my in-law's get so much joy out of being with their grandchildren.... and, in turn, we are filled with the peace of mind of knowing that they are loved and happy each day we are away. In addition to the daily help... they are always there when Scott and I need some time for ourselves... to get away and be a couple together! They have never turned us down when we say "we need to go away for the weekend!" Or even, "we need to go to Mexico for a week!" :-)))))) I can honestly say, thanks to my in-law's, my marriage is healthy too! Scott and I are quite blessed to be able to get away together and have someone watch our crazy kids!!!
So... today, as I sit at work... I am thankful to my kids' Nana and Papa!!! They love my kids to pieces and it shows each and every day!!!!!!!!!!!!
2 comments:
I know I would not have been much help even if I stayed in Jackson...I would be working every day. Thanks, Cathy and Tim, I appreciate you too!
Post a Comment