Friday, November 5, 2010

Day Five: I am Thankful for my Super Smart Girl...

Today is Ally's day!  One might argue that just about every day is Ally's Day... or every day is "Kid's Day" rather.  Ally always asks on Mother's or Father's Day when Kid's Day is... to which Scott responds each year... "every day is Kid's Day Ally... all I got is today!"  Hee... hee... it's true.

Today I am eternally grateful for the little girl who made me a mom. Today I am especially proud of her for her report card!!! She received her first report card of her second grade year at Queens and she got all A's and pluses and goods and excellents!  There is quite the variety of grading mechanisms in the second grade!

I am especially proud of the fact that Ally has not only faced this academic challenge and rocked, but that she did it in the face of some obstacles... those obstacles being adjusting to a new school!  You are all keenly aware of how difficult those early days and weeks were, but she has just adjusted SO VERY WELL and is now just thriving at Queens!  Every day she chatters on about something they did in her class or art class or that Father Tim gave her a hug in the hall or that they played something she enjoys in gym or that church is "way cooler as a school".... or that lunch was awesome.... the list goes on.  She seems to be doing so, so well.  :-)  And I am genuinely happy for her happiness!  Not to mention... THANKFUL... because I was so worried about her early on.  I knew it was going to be hard at first and I could not have asked for a better transition.

Much of the credit is owed to Ally's fellow classmates!  I am constantly impressed by the kindness of many of the girls in her class... especially those with whom she has become close.  Not to mention, her amazing teacher, who was new to the school herself this year, so I think brought that perspective into her classroom and helped Ally.

Then, there's the MOM support I've received. The one thing I will say to anyone who listens... is that Queens is truly like a family.  I was contacted before school even started to get Ally together with some other girls so she had some familiar faces on that first day... then, the principal was sure to place Ally in class with those girls.  When we had that first day from hell, I had mom's there to help me through the heartbreak and more calls and emails to check in after the fact. No one was going to let Ally feel left out. And because of all that kindness and outreach.... you would think Ally has been going there her whole life.  She's fitting right in... invited to many a sleepover, birthday party and play date.  I am proud of her ability to embrace this change and make such great friends!!! And so many... she has a nice, large diverse group of girls.... girls she does gymnastics with... girls she is in girl scouts with.... girls she just has lots in common with!  When I asked her who she wanted at her birthday party... she rattled off a whole list of "very best friends."  :-)

In addition to all of this adjustment... Ally seems to be maturing right before my eyes.  We have had our share of challenges with this one.... but I firmly believe that so much of her problem has been a level of emotional immaturity. I am happy to say I think we are beginning to turn that corner and Ally is really starting to grow emotionally.  This is not to say we don't have a "breakthrough fit" now and again.. but she works her way out of it quickly and is quick to recognize the issue and apologize.  I can't ask for more than that right now.  I also believe that I have become more patient in my quest to slow down and she certainly picks up on that.  I am less likely to lash out at her in anger when she starts to yell... and more likely to handle it in a more patient manner.  But... this will NEVER come easy to me.  It is a constant challenge and I am constantly reminding myself to stay calm!!!!!!!  ;-)

When my kids yell and scream at me, at one another... nothing pisses me off more!  My first instinct is to scream right back... which only escalates things out of control.  What works for our kids... is for me to remain as calm as can be and literally watch them work through their fit.  I've learned this works with both Luke and Ally.  It's easier with Luke for certain.  I feel like his actions, at almost three, are understandable. I feel like Ally should "know better"... but then, I try to remember that when she was three herself... she did not go through this phase. She was an angel toddler.... it wasn't until four years of age that she really learned how to lose her shit!

When we sought out some professional help cuz I freaked out at this point (I was also pregnant with Luke and couldn't deal!!!), we learned that it's because she never had those 2 and 3 year tantrums... and she had to now go through that developmental phase.  UGH! Come on.... that stuff is SO MUCH easier at 2  and 3 people.  I know you may not believe it if you are in the midst of it with one of your children... but 4 and 5 and even 6 year old tantrums are so much worse!!!!!!!!  Ugh.

Just emotionally immature... and very intelligent.  Her mind didn't understand why it felt certain ways... one area of her brain couldn't reason with the other... and now I really think the two are starting to sync! THANK YOU SWEET BABY JESUS!!!!!!  :-)

So, today I could not be more thankful for everything that Ally is..... the good, the bad and the really, really shitty.  ;-)  I love it all..... it makes up exactly who she is... and she is AMAZING!!!!!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Yes little Ally is AMAZING....and always will be!!!! Her Mom and Dad are the reasons why!