Friday, November 11, 2011

Nov. 10 - I am Thankful for my Children's Amazing Teachers...

Yesterday we had parent/teacher conferences for both Ally and Luke.  Luke's was first.... I dropped the kids off with their Uncle Adam, who single-handedly fed five kids (one of which has a BAD case of croup) and took care of them all while we were gone.  Huge KUDOS to Uncle Adam!!!!!!

I met Scott at St. Mary's and we met with his three year old preschool teacher, Ms. Joann.  First of all, this woman is a saint. She has such a patient demeanor and a presence that just puts you at peace. This is actually a trait that both my kids' teachers share!  She had some papers to show us how well Luke is doing these days with learning his letters and tracing them.  He can recognize all his colors and shapes... most of his numbers.... and well, none of his letters.  Something to work toward!  A part of me felt really bad.... cuz I know for a fact Ally could recognize and probably even write her letters by this time.  So... we will just have to be better at working with him.

He gets a "report card" like sheet.... it makes me smile.  Things he can do, and things that need improvement.  But, more importantly, at least to me at this time, he is doing really, really well socially. I wanted him to start preschool this early for his social development.  He is such a sweet, shy boy... and he needs to really learn how to interact with the world around him.

He is doing so, so, so well! Better than I could have ever hoped.  He no longer cries.  Ms. Joann tells me he always participates.  He comes up during circle time if it's his turn to do the weather or the clock.  He dances with his friends.  He has become buddies with one other little boy in particular, Joey. Which is pretty cool, cuz I know Joey's parents.... and his mom and I had talked at length when they started this year, about our concerns for our sons.  They were the same concerns, because both of our boys are on the more sensitive side. So, Joey and Luke are a great pair.  Joey also calls him Lukie, which I find adorable.

He also (of course!) has a best girl friend there... Ellie.... Ms. Joann tells me that Ellie is his go-to when he is feeling particularly overwhelmed or even the day he was sick.  Ah yes... a little girl comforts him.  Makes perfect sense being that he is surrounded by girls. And his best friend in the entire world is Grace.....

Sidenote: My mother-in-law told me the cutest story.  Last week, she was snuggling Luke and Grace and she made some mention to Luke that someday he would snuggle with his girlfriend.  Grace looked up at her horrified and said... "But I thought I was Lukie's girlfriend???"  Nana told her that someday she would have a boyfriend.... to which she replied of course, "Lukie is going to be my boyfriend."  They are so sweet.... Jane and I worry about the day when they do have boyfriends and girlfriends. I'm pretty sure that the other will kick some ass should their boyfriend/girlfriend hurt their BFF.  They will always have one another's backs.....  :-)

So, Luke is doing so, so well in school. Joann just loves him and he is such a sweet boy she always tells me.  I can tell she truly enjoys having him in her classroom and she is bummed a little the days he isn't there.

We then made our way over to Queens (in some horrid snow might I add!) to meet with Ally's Third Grade teacher, Mrs. Phelan.  This woman is also a saint.  She is so calm, even I feel at complete peace in her presence.  She makes ME want to be a better person and I know she quietly commands this from her class as well. She has a gift, this woman, and it shows. She is exactly where she is meant to be.

Her opening words were "What can I say? Ally is amazing!"  She had her report card.... all A's and one B. She said "I'm sure Ally was upset by that B, knowing how she is!"  True story.  A B in Social Studies of all subjects.  She went on to say, that grade is a reflection of the transition they are making this year. The first test Ally took, she got a 71% on.. which is a D.  She didn't quite "get" how the tests worked Mrs. Phelan said.  It was a wake up call for her... and the entire year, they are really focusing on learning how to study.  How to make study guides. How to write and take notes.  A life-long super important skill!  So, Ally's tests improved through the quarter.  She got 100% on many... just not enough to pull that grade up since that first test counted for so much of her grade.

Her marks in conduct are even better this year.  Mrs. Phelan sees a lot less talking and socializing than her second grade teacher did. I think Ally is more at peace within herself these days and that is showing in the classroom.  Mrs. Phelan also commented on how neat she is... both in her work (handwriting) and her desk. She keeps her desk super organized and clean.

I would like Mrs. Phelan to see her room.  :-))))))

Oh well... we want our kids to be better for other than they are for us. It's a sad, but true story.  Home should be the one place we can all let go and be ourselves......

So, Ally is rocking third grade so far.  We are so very proud of her. There aren't words for how proud of her grades and how proud we are to hear all the amazing things her teachers say about her.  A great girl that one.  :-)

I feel so blessed to be a part of both the schools we are a part of.  So, I could not be more thankful for my kids' amazing teachers!!!

2 comments:

It's A Wonderful Life said...

I taught 3rd grade! I love that age! It is such a transition year. There is a big jump from second grade! Especially with test taking! I love the independent learners by the end of the year! Enjoy 3rd grade!

Kathy said...

I am glad that school is going well for both of them....Makes it so much easier on us parents when that happens(I am thinking of how you and David were such good students too!)