Monday, September 15, 2008

School Days...

Ally continues to LOVE school. And, I don't mean just a little. We have noticed huge changes in our little girl since she started Kindergarten. Of course, we have been doing a lot to address some behavior problems lately, and that, combined with really LIKING and feeling comfortable at school could be a reason for all these changes... whatever the reason.... I will take it!

First of all, Ally has been going to bed without any struggle at all. Gone is the "fit" she would have leading up to bedtime. Gone are the struggles over bathtime which always preceded bedtime. Gone is the little girl who just couldn't calm herself enough to FALL asleep. She is out within 10 minutes most nights..... no fuss!

She is no longer taking naps... and we did have her taking them and she did at ABC (preschool) and Y-Camp over the summer. Maybe we held on to the nap too long? I don't know. What I DO know is that she can finally fall asleep FAST! And, that is a blessing for all of us!

She is also sleeping better all around. She rarely gets up in the middle of the night anymore and comes into our room. She was having bad dreams for a while there, in addition to all the "fits." Maybe the two were related? Who knows.......

We have also sought out the help of a professional to help us with Ally... and we have been working with her for a few months now. She has really helped us to understand our daughter and to assist us in dealing with her through this phase. What was most beneficial to us in all of our sessions with her, was that we really learned that this truly is/was a discipline problem... not a sign of some sort REAL antisocial behavior or the like. I will be the first to admit... for a while there, we were worried!

But... we have learned a lot... and I have really learned a lot about what I am doing... and WHY I do it! How I don't allow Ally to feel disappointment... how I carry the guilt of a full-time working mom into my relationship with her... and so much more! Parents need just as much help here! Why aren't WE required to take a parenting class? Why isn't there a manual that comes with our model of child? ;-)

It is SO HARD parenting....... and I will say this and run the risk of parents of babies yelling at me or thinking I am so wrong.... parenting a "BIGGER" kid.... is so much MORE difficult than parenting that newborn baby. The skills required are so very different. It isn't basic needs anymore... it isn't middle fo the night feedings being the worst of it. It gets so much more complicated along the way and if you don't do your part, your JOB... you only fail your child....

Ugh... enough of my soapbox there!

The moral of today's story - Ally is just doing AWESOME! She seems to be such a happy little girl lately... the kind of girl you always WANT your kid to be.... we're not all the way there yet, but I feel the tide turning and I just feel it in my bones that things are going to continue to improve...

What a roller coaster ride this parenting business!!!!!!!! And... you know me... I love those coasters! The bigger the hill, the better......

2 comments:

Urquhart Family said...

I couldn't agree more! It IS harder the older they get. Once they can talk back...that's when it begins!!!

Kathy said...

I think you guys are GREAT parents!!! Those kids will grow up in a loving home and not have anything to blame their parents for when they grow up! Congrats with Ally...
Mom