Friday, September 5, 2008

New Shoes...

I got Ally some new shoes this week for school.  Because they have gym three days a week, and go outside for recess twice a day, the school asks that they always wear sneakers!  With socks no less!  Ally is used to Crocs, sandals, and sometimes cute little dress shoes with dresses and tights... so trying to get her to wear sneakers and socks is a challenge.

Enter the BRIBE - new shoes!  Then... I make a big deal about it... as in "OH ALLY - I got you something SPECIAL today - NEW SHOES!"

And, then, they are something she wants to wear!

I got her these nice New Balance shoes at Playmakers in Okemos when I was up in Lansing for work the other day.  It's a challenge to find nice shoes that don't tie.  She needs to be able to get them on and off herself and not rely on the teacher to tie them for her!  So... I finally found a pair that I liked... and they had some pink and sparkles on them, which make them acceptable to her!  



She is still as happy as can be to go to school each morning!  It's such a treat!  When she was in preschool, we went through a period of time where she HATED going to school.  She was actually sad to go... which broke my heart.  She told me there was a boy that was "mean to her" and sometimes the girls decided they didn't want to be her friend.  What could break a mother's heart more??

She LOVES Mrs. Spicer... yesterday she told us that her favorite thing about school so far was recess, and her second favorite was Mrs. Spicer!  I take that as a very positive thing!!

We signed Ally up for soccer this week! Of course, Scott is thrilled (he played soccer in high school).  He has been teaching her since she could walk upright to play. And... we think she is pretty good!  It will be so much fun to go to her games and watch her play in a sport like this!  What a "big kid" thing, ya know???

Well... I am home today... not feeling so great, so I decided I better take it easy cuz I have a BIG week ahead of me!  Sunday I am traveling to New York City and mixing a bit of work, and a lot of pleasure!  My cousin, Sarah lives in Brooklyn... so I will be spending a couple days with her.  Attending some meetings... and MOST importantly... seeing Dave at Madison Square Garden. So, needless to say... I cannot be sick... so I am forcing myself to heal quickly!  It just seems to be a cold, with the horrid body aches... but still.  Not taking any chances!

So, think healthy thoughts for me!!!


3 comments:

Urquhart Family said...

Have fun in NYC! My second favorite city...just behind Chicago. Dave @ MSG...could it get any better???

Leslie Collins said...

You lucky lady! New York. Dave. I am super jealous. Have a great time.

Ally is adorable.

Kathy said...

"Healthy thoughts...healthy thoughts"...have a fun and safe trip....

Hugs to all...
Mom