Friday, September 16, 2011

The Power of your Personality....

I LOVE this article from Simple Mom on Understanding Your Personality.  I love how she discusses the difference between task oriented and people oriented personalities.  Within my department at work, we all recently went through two days of team building and identifying our work style.  My orientation (people oriented ALL THE WAY) and work style are linked hand in hand.  In my work, I want to work in groups, with others, and not be given a list of items to check off and accomplish. I thrive around people... being in social situations, and I will absolutely wither in solitude.  Yes, every once in a while, I need some alone time.... but that is short-lived... and after a short time, I will yearn to be with other people!

I have done Myers Briggs testing and I am an ENFP.... hands down...  :-)  One of my favorite quotes from this description of an ENFP is that I see "the details of everyday life as trivial drudgery..."  :-))))  HAHA!!! This could not be more true. This is why you will often find my house a mess... my laundry piling up.... my dishwasher full of clean dishes.... and a list of to-do's that has simply not been done.  I will happily (and frantically!) do these things if there is a good reason..... like if I'm having a party!  :-)))

There are many great things about my personality type, and many things that I find difficult to simply do because of who I am.

It's good (and bad!) that I married an ISTJ to balance me out.... but that can cause a great deal of conflict if we don't truly understand where the other one is coming from and work to appreciate what we bring into the relationship and into our life together!

In my job, the majority of people that I work with are much, much more task oriented than people oriented, so that often causes a disconnect.  But it is a good thing they have me around or they would be a bunch of no fun, worker bees.  :-))))))))  I love the people I work with and love even more that I really understand where they are coming from and why they work and act the way they do!

If you have never done any personality profiling within your family, your marriage, your work place, or among your friends even... I say give it a go!  It is certainly interesting to learn about yourself and those closest to you!  I know I look at Scott and thing to myself.... "I understand (now) why he is reacting in this way....."  And he definitely has an appreciation for my craziness since it's simply how I'm built.  :-))))

There are ways in which you can really identify and work on your weaknesses when you understand who you are.... and how you are made.  I know I struggle with the mundane.  I have done some leadership profiling and worked through this process of discovering what I truly VALUE and work for in life.... this was like ten years ago.... and my core value, what is most important to me... is fun.  :-)  You may laugh and say "this is everyone... everyone wants to have fun!!!"  But that's just not true.  Yes, everyone wants to have fun... but it is at my core.... I will work my butt off to make just about anything and everything in my life, work, and family.... fun!

This is why I don't go to the grocery store as often as I should... I don't clean my own house.... and why I have changed jobs within my company, as often as I have.  I focus on the fun.... I will seek it out.  I will strive to make anything and everything fun.....

And of course, it needs to involve people....  and contain no trivial drudgery.....  :-)

I love delving into personality and working on weaknesses..... understand and accepting myself and others for what they have and what they cannot possibly have..... it's so very interesting to me.

Lately, I have been working on trying to understand Ally.  That's what our past year in therapy with her has taught us.... given us insight into her personality and how she fits into our family... how she fits in with Scott and I... and how we need to look at her and value what she can and cannot do because of how she is built.

Nothing disappoints me more than when I hear people putting someone down simply because of their choices and how they are made.  We live in a world of too much judgement and not enough appreciation for what is different... especially when it comes to personality and the things we each do because we simply see things that way.

I delight in the differences among you and me... but if you can't see me for who I am and appreciate the differences in me... I will feel that... I will sense that because I am about as highly intuitive as they come... and I will shrink away from you and feed judged.  That is just how I am built.  ;-)

So... I challenge you all to look around your circles... to look at yourself... to figure yourself out and accept you... but identify the personalities of others too and accept them.... and appreciate what everyone brings to the table..... because a world of just your personality!??!??  What a boring ass world that would be.  ;-)

No comments: