Thursday, September 22, 2011

Kiddio Diddio...

So, Luke is obsessed with rhyming. Everything is said in rhyme lately.... and the second word usually makes no sense and is not real. Much like the title of this blog post.  Diddio is not a word. It is possible that kiddio isn't either... but at least it is a word that is used... you get my point.

This morning... he asked for his "milk ba-dilk"... he just likes to rhyme. It is hilarious.  Maybe he will become a rapper. :-)  Maybe he is just silly.

He cried yesterday at the drop off at school. First time since the first week... so Scott was sent into shock when it happened!  He just wasn't expecting it... and I wasn't expecting the text that informed me he cried... so of course, I just into "what could be wrong" mode... when the reality is, nothing was wrong at all.... as my sis in law reminded me... they are just little and they cry from time to time. They will get over it and it builds character.

Character.  Something my kids seem to have plenty of.  I must rock at character building.  :-))))))

Otherwise, Luke is loving school.  Yesterday he had a field trip to Kids-n-Stuff in Albion and had a blast. He told me all about it in great detail.  I am still shocked at how well he can recount the details of his day and at how animated he is about these details and his school day in general.  I pick him up and he is just all wound up and excited to recount the events of his day with Ally and I.  It's pretty darn cute.

Ally is a more "keep it in" kind of girl.. which shocks me because that's just now how she operates on so many other levels. But, she is the kid who responds "I don't know" or "nothing" when asked what she did at school today.  I remember when I used to pick her up from preschool and after care - she usually passed out from exhaustion on the ride home.  I assumed Luke would too.

Not so much.

This week, I arrived to school to get him at some different times than I normally do. Usually when I get there, they are in a state of "free play" and I will just see him playing with some kids... at the sand table, kitchen or playing with trucks.  Tuesday, I picked him up early so I got to observe how he is at snack time for a moment.  They get their little dixie cups of milk and their snack on a paper towel and sit at little tables with little chairs.  When I got there, he was eating and listening attentively to a little boy next to him who was talking ON and ON!!!  You could also understand very little of what this boy said.  Luke was just starting at him as if to say...."I'm only pretending to listen to you... honestly I have no freakin' idea what you are saying to me...."  :-))))))  He seemed to want this kid to shut up so he could give his full attention to the little girl next to him who I have seen him playing with a lot.  Luke is my ladies' man.  :-)

Yesterday, I got there later... because Ally and I ran a quick errand... and we arrived at Story Time.  Luke was sitting there so attentively he didn't see me come in... nor did he hear is friend Joey say "Lukie! Your mommy is here!" (I love that Joey called him Lukie - too cute)  He was pretty entranced in the story... and just sitting there as good as can be.

The teachers still rave about how well behaved he is and "how very sweet" he is.  I am proud that he is a good little boy and that he does what he's supposed to.  I'm proud that they seem to have fallen in love with him (almost) as much as we have.  He is the kind of boy who captures your heart.  Or maybe that's just his mom talking.  :-)))) I am a bit smitten by him.  ;-)

Ally is doing so well too. I know I've mentioned before that I love her teacher... and I really do love, love, love her teacher!  She rocks at communication. I love the assignment notebook they use every day. I feel like I am always on top of what needs to be done each and every night.  I feel more organized as a result of her influence!  She sends an amazing weekly newsletter home each Friday that details the events of the following week, so we know what to expect. Each night, reminders are in the notebook as to what might be happening at school that is out of the norm, a friendly reminder to those of us who would leave our head at home if it wasn't attached to our bodies via our necks!  Wednesday evening's reminder is to bring gym clothes.  Reminders for magazine sales. Reminders for field trip money.  I love the reminders.  :-)

I get emailed a summary of Allys' grades each week.  Any day I can get on PowerSchool and see how she's doing in each subject.  I can see if her lunch balance is low and send a check.  I just feel very informed and able to keep up this year more than ever. That is quite likely due to the fact that it's our second year and Queens and I have the routine down, but her communication is also a big part and a huge help for a busy mom like me.

Ally definitely has more homework this year.  Last year she had "weekly" homework that she could just do anytime during the school week. This year, it's nightly... AND she has weekend homework.  Last year, assignments were not given on Fridays unless it was a bigger project like a book report that she was working on or something of that sort. This year, she still brings home a handwriting worksheet on Fridays, has to read for AT LEAST 15 minutes each day AND has to practice math facts for a minimum amount of time.

This is a bit more difficult to manage those evenings we have gymnastics or other commitments.  Difficult if I have a meeting or something as well.  Ally's routine is to come home and do homework immediately. It's simply what works best for her... the closer she gets to bedtime, the less energy she has... and the crankier she gets!  She doesn't take instruction well after about 7... and she has no freakin' patience.  I guess maybe neither do her parents.  :-)))))

So - hence the decision to go somewhere before gymnastics on Mondays. Wednesdays are a different story because we don't really have enough time in between. So, last night things got a little testy.  Plus, she had to study for a social studies test on top of daily assignments.  So, she was a little on edge.

Socially, Ally is rocking. She is a much more confident little girl this year. She started the school year feeling good... knowing everyone... and she is just gaining confidence in huge strides.  I'm proud of the friend she is too... the other day on the way home from school she told me how much fun she had playing with a little girl who isn't in her "core group" of besties (yes, she used the word besties). She said she likes to play with different people and "be a friend" to everyone even though she still had "best friends." She asked me if we could invite more than just her "best friends" to her birthday party this year.  I am really proud that she chooses to be that girl... who wants to include others and wants to be a friend to all.  Makes a mom proud.  :-)

She also wants to try new things! She loves gymnastics and I am still proud of how she chose to stick with it when two of her besties stopped going, but she wants to try volleyball this year she has told me.  And this summer, she asked if she could also give tennis a go... in addition to wanting to continue with golf.

I am ridiculously proud of that... cuz that's something I would have never done as a kid. I was not that confident girl who wanted to step outside my comfort zone.  Not to mention, I'm not sporty.  ;-)  You are shocked, aren't you?  :-)))))) But... I am happy to raise a sporty girl!  I am thrilled to let her try a zillion different things and see what she likes and doesn't like.  Go outside of her comfort zone... we know she has some true gymnastics talent (it's in her genes) but maybe she has game in other things too... and good for her for wanting to try!

And yay for me... another activity to squeeze in some way, some how....  :-))))

Ah... as I always say... "it's all good in the hood....." The kids seem to be having a great week.... and other than this stupid cold - yes - I am sick once again... I am doing great too.

Happy Thursday blog friends, family... and as always, a special shout out of love to my Mom and Grandma.....  XXOOXXOO  But... especially my Mom as she recovers from  her second reconstructive surgery.... Yay for new boobs!  :-)


2 comments:

Baci said...

Nika ...I love the rhyming stuff...he is my little Lukie Pookie...it is just so CUTE...GRAMMA...XOXOX

Kathy said...

Love reading your blog...even in my groggy state after surgery..
Thanks for the updates!