I would be remiss if I didn't mention last night's Parents' Night at school and how we got to really sit down and talk to Ally's new teacher, Mrs. Phelan!!!!!!
It was one of those moments where my school decision was really affirmed. I love my school and I am so glad we are there. We heard from on of the parish priests, Father Matthais and we heard from the school principal for about half an hour. They had an awesome picture slideshow from the first week already, so we could see our kids in action. We were thanked for our decision in entrusting our kids with them. And Mrs. Hartly even had a section on letting our children face disappointment now and then, cuz it builds character, in her presentation, that I personally appreciated and gave a the little smile too.
When we went to Ally's classroom and heard from her teacher... I was just overwhelmed by her peaceful presence. Scott and I talked afterwards about how that is so what Ally needs! The best kind of teacher for her to have. She was so calm... and mild... and you could just sense that she commanded respect and taught in such a way that the kids don't even know what's hitting them. I was just so comfortable with her, I can't explain it!
She discussed that they will have 3-4 book reports a quarter.... discussed the spelling tests and challenge words and how they earn prizes for trying and getting those right (PRIZE? Did you say prize. Ally's in!). The current events presentations that they will do once a quarter. The fact that we really, really need to work on math facts - DAILY! (something WE really need to work on promoting at home!) And the process for mark offs and discipline in the classroom.
What I also really love is the assignment notebook. A silly thing to love, yes I realize... but I love it! I love that Ally has to write down each and every day what her homework is... and then, one of us has to sign that she did it each and every night. We are pretty dilligent about homework and working with her... so this just keeps us all in check. I really like the accountability!
I have a feeling that it's going to be a great year for all of us!
1 comment:
Sounds like Queens is the place for you...and now you can see why the cost is so high....I'm glad I sent you guys to parochial school too!
Post a Comment