Thursday, September 22, 2011

Facebook Follies....

Lately, I have a beef with Facebook..... and it's entirely personal.  I am wondering if Facebook is good for someone like me.... or if it causes more harm than good?

I will read things on Facebook and I have this overwhelming urge to right a wrong that is stated... to correct a mistruth.... or I just take things entirely too personally.

I think Facebook is a great thing. It's fun... it's a great way to stay in touch with people and see what they're up to. See pictures of people's kids.  But... it can do a lot of harm too.  We see too much of peoples' lives. We know too much.  We take things personally.

People make grand statements... use Facebook as a platform to air their grievances either correctly or incorrectly.

I actually had to "dislike" the Cit Pat... cuz there were so many negative comments about the place I happen to work all the time.  Ignorant comments..... people complaining about things that MAKE NO SENSE because they are clueless and don't have the knowledge that I do.

I recognize this is an odd reaction... but my first reaction is to right this wrong.  Stand up for the place that provides my family a living and a very important component of our economy. There was nothing I could say to educate these people as to why their statements were so very false... but my blood pressure would rise so much just reading all the things that were written.... that I had to stop.  Like a bad car accident that you don't want to look at, but you can't help it... that's how I was... so I had to remove it from my newsfeed.

I think people need to think before they post to Facebook. What do you really want to COME out of something you say?  What is your intention?  When you say something that is hurtful.... what do you want the end result to be?  Are you really trying to alienate part of your friend population?

I recently had a friend, in person.... tell me something that he had been upset about for a long, long time.... something happened a long, long time ago... and I can't go back and change it. There is no way for me to rectify what happened.... and it hurt me that he brought it up.... when at this point, there's no changing it.  All it did was hurt our friendship.  What good did it do him to bring it up?  Yes.. it got it off his chest I suppose.... but now our friendship is totally broken.... and while I will remain friends with him, I won't soon forget the attack.  He is upset now that he told me... and well, you can't put the genie back in the bottle buddy.... just think before you speak. How important was it really to make such a statement? Worth our friendship?  Apparently....

I see a lot of attacking on Facebook and it's my personal problem that I take it so personally. That's my own issue. Apparently I need a lesson in letting things slide off my back.  In letting go. But, maybe that's not how I'm built.... so maybe Facebook isn't for me.  In the very least... I am thinking of taking the app off my phone... so it's not so there and in my face. Yes, that's what I'm going to do.... get it off my phone.

I like having a lot of high school friends that I can connect to. I think about how we will have a 20 year reunion soon... and how quickly I can instantly get in touch with so many of my classmates to invite them and help plan that event.  I like seeing what my cousins, aunts, and even my mom is up to.  But... then, I wonder... is Facebook replacing a phone call?  More personal communication? Do we not call or visit people cuz we heard all about it on Facebook???  Between Facebook and email our actual personal communication and the actual process of getting together has gone to hell.  It really has and I miss the shit out of it.

I don't call my mom as often.  I will freely admit that.  I know she read this blog... I know she follows me on Facebook. That is crap. Total crap.  I vow to do better.  If I took the time I spent on Facebook and actually called the people I loved... or even emailed them a personal note (second best for certain)... I would spend no more time in that act and I would get so much more out of it....

I like blogging... I know it means a lot to the people I love the most. I like sharing my kids and my life. I like having this somewhat safe venue to voice my concerns with live, love and the pursuit of happiness.  But, is Facebook getting a little too out of hand????

Deep thoughts... by Me.  :-)

5 comments:

Baci said...

Yea Nika...I have never been on facebook but it seems to me like it is reading someones diary...I agree there would be more phone calls to Mom, etc. You go girl...speak only to those far, far away.on facebook, to me it sounds like an old fashioned "Slam BooK" passed around in my days and it can hurt you and many...call Mom and close friends. Love You Gramma xoxoxoxo

Leslie Collins said...

I have not "defriended" people, but instead just hid them out of my feed. I got sick of the people that were dissing their "baby mama's or constantly boo hoo'ing about how awful his/her life is. Or there is the person who likes and then comments on their own status before anyone starts a convo??? I think these people need to get a life!! Okay, one last complaint...the attacking....the persons that like to write something that everyone wants to know more about and you know it's directed at someone to be mean, but they never come and say it. Get.A.Life!!!

Alright, I am done. Facebook annoys me and I am glad you touched on this.

Chrystal said...

I wish I could "like" this blog post. :) You are so right about FB.

Kathy said...

Well Nina,
With my surgery I didn't read this right away...but I like the part about calling more often!

jane said...

Finally got around to reading your post on this. True words if I ever read them!! You know my rant on this. My favorite part is think before you post. What do you want to come out of this post? Or this "like"? Or this comment? Far too much seeing what everybody is doing And who they are interacting with and using and manipulating that nformation in an unhealthy way. It has completely transcended relationships on a negative way. I am sick of seeing it ruin friendships. For Gods sake can't we just be nice to eachother!!!!