I was just over catching up on Momastary. She posted five days ago and somehow I am just reading the most recent post! What is wrong with me? ;-)
Oh how I laughed at this post. I loved it so very much I wanted to cry. Again and again this woman leads a life that I read about and say "yep... been there girl...."
The entire description of her morning with her kids I relate to like you would not believe! Makes me smile to know not everyone is out there having a peaceful morning. I like to know more families are like mine..... we run crazy in the morning no matter HOW much we have done the night before to NOT run crazy. I swear to you... it does not matter how much I prepare..... the mornings are still hell in my house.
My kids wake up angry at the world. They do not wake up with smiles on their faces, ready to greet the day. They wake up pissed off. This is not an exaggeration. Luke even growls. Ally just has immediate attitude. Nothing is ever right for either of my kids in the morning and this is almost always MY fault somehow. Of course it is. Duh!
I spend a lot of wasted energy wishing I had those happy go lucky kids. A lot. I get insanely jealous of people who appear to have kids who go with the flow. Who's kids are compliant and appear to have genuine respect for their parents.
I birthed kids who question authority. Argue their points. Kids who must be won over. You must prove to them that you deserve respect... they don't just give it to you.
I have strong, smart kids.......and most days I am no match for their brains..... but I keep on trying.
I need to spend a lot more time simply accepting that they are who they are and that it is very unlikely I am ever going to change them into happy go lucky kids. They just aren't built that way. So, I can wish and envy all I want...... but that will do me absolutely no freakin' good. The best I can do is accept and learn to live in peace with what I have.....
Not to mention.... I need to appreciate their personalities for what they are. Ally has so much to offer, if she is just put in the right environment to be who she is. So long as she feels love and acceptance..... Ally can shine. Luke is the same really...... he's just younger and I've learned a lot more through trial and ERROR with Ally so I know how to deal better.
My mornings will always be crazy........ in sharp contrast to most nights. I am thankful that my children go to bed like champs. The horror stories I hear of kids not staying in bed.... refusing to go to bed.... sleeping in their parents' beds..... are all more than I could take. My kids give me a run for my money all day long..... they are just as exhausted as I am come bed time and we all just pass out! Thank god for bedtime. :-)
The one thing I have done right is teach my children how to value sleep!
This morning, on the radio show I listen to, they discussed how to have a great night's sleep. The key points were:
1. Eat before 8:30 pm
2. Do not drink anything after 9:00 pm
3. Be in bed by 9:30/10 and asleep by 10:30 pm
I defintely do all this and more. I try not to do anything at all once I put the kids down. That cannot always be accomplished. Lately, I am going to the chiropractor at 8:15/8:30 a couple nights a week.... so the process of driving to and from Jackson that late, gets me more wound up than I care to be. But that is a short term need and will soon end.
My typical night looks like this:
1. Dinner between 6-7:30 (depending on Ally's gymnastics schedule)
2. Low key activities after dinner... no TV for Luke. Ally is occassionally alowed to watch a show in my bed. Luke usually plays with Scott in his room for a little bit.
3. Bedtime for kids at or before 8:00 pm
4. I am in bed reading by 8:30 pm or Scott and I are talking on the couch. Rarely we watch TV (sports usually).
5. I will not usually talk on the phone, email, get on the internet at all or do anything that winds me up in this hour.
6. I am out anytime between 9 and 10 pm... depending!
There are always exceptions...... but typically, on school/work nights.... that's my optimal schedule. I sleep like a rock when I follow that plan. The only coffee I have is one cup in the morning.... and green tea is all the caffeine I have throughout the day. This was apparent yesterday when I had a latte at 3:30 when Ally and I went to Jackson Coffee and I got a free latte that I couldn't pass up. Sleep was MUCH more interrupted. Will not make that mistake again.
I have not always been able to perform this loser sleep ritual that I have going on now..... I had to really accept that it was OKAY not to run around like a crazy person trying to accomplish a ton after my kids were in bed. That is just NOT an optimal time for me. And, I am lucky.... many days, I am home after the school hour and I have those hours to accomplish those things, then. So.... after 8:00 pm.... you will find our house quiet and pretty much done for the day each week day. That's just how we roll. :-)
1 comment:
You are SOOOO not alone with the crazy mornings. Our house is usually a madhouse as well... kids fighting, me running (errrr... waddling??) around trying to pull myself together and get everyone out the door... toys strewn everywhere... usually random breakfast food wrappers (orrrrrr candy or popsicle wrappers... hahahaa!) on the counters... MESS. Ryan leaves just as I'm getting up so its just me getting the boys out the door. I DREAD this fall with 3 kids! I so envy go with the flow kids too, and families who have both parents at home in the mornings while getting ready for work/school/daycare. But, its not our family and there isn't anything I can do to change it.
P and H sound a lot like Ally and Luke... challenge authority... independent.... determined. OH yes. It will pay off in teh future though, they will be strong, determined, motivated adults (at least thats what I keep telling myself... that or they'll be convicts for breaking the laws hahahah!) I just recently threw out all of the candy in the candy jar because the had found it last week and began helping themselves every morning. WTF. OFF LIMITS kids!!!!
Post a Comment