Monday, January 31, 2011

Weekend of Friends...

We had a wonderful weekend!!!!  My weekends really "kick off" on Wednesday.... well, work-wise anyway...  ;-)  It's hard once you've been in the working world to not think of the last day of your "office working week" as your Friday... but in all reality, there is much "work" to do on my days off.  Maybe more!  ;-)

So, we kicked off the start of the weekend with a morning at Auntie Kristen's house.  I volunteer in Ally's art class one Thursday morning a month... so Kristen offered to watch Luke for me... and after class, I got us sushi and Luke and I hung out for the day until it was time to get Ally from school.  The two second commute from Kristen's house to school sure is nice!!!

Rhen and Luke had fun playing together... although Rhen has a funny idea of "play!"  Look at how he made Luke slave away doing dishes....  :-))))))
Rhen loves to "clean"... seriously, the kid is obsessed with the vacuum cleaner, brooms, mops, doing dishes, kitchen appliances... you name it!  It's hilarious!!!!!  He loves tools and cleaning supplies!!!  :-)  You can tell he lives in a very clean, and always "fixed up" household! As opposed to my kids... who don't know where the cleaning supplies are kept... and well, we own NO tools... so they don't know how to use those either.... it's good for Luke to get exposed to diversity! :-))))
It's also good for him to play with other kids.. especially boys as he is surrounded by girls on a daily basis!  He needs some rough and tumble BOY time!!! So... as Rhen gets older, the two of them play better and better together!

Friday.... Luke and I had lunch with a whole bunch of girls that I work with and our friend Kate who is on maternity leave... we got to see baby Leo and enjoy some yummy food and wonderful conversation!  Luke and I ran a million errands after lunch and before we picked Ally up. I was feeling SO GOOD and accomplished.  I had all these returns piling up... and decided Friday was the day to check them off one by one. So.... that's what we did.  We returned items to Michael's, Best Buy, Dunhams... picked up our wine from the tasting and delivered what wasn't ours to our friends... tried to have the car looked at (OnStar tells me my tires need air) but Luke isn't a fan of such things... so we pulled out.  :-))))  Then, we picked Ally up and headed to Ann Arbor where I promised her she could hit Barnes and Noble and exchange her books...

That we did... Ally loved the Barnes and Noble there because it was two stories!  Luke loved the toys they had... and we spent some time there reading books we didn't buy... and playing with toys.  Luke can be so cute... he kept bringing me things and asking if we could buy them... and one by one I would say "no Lukie, we can't buy that..."  He would just shrug and say "okay Mommy."  Just like that. He would put it back and that was the end of it.........

Then there was Ally.... who wanted half the store... and had three books to return, so therefore three books I allowed her to get.  Any other time of the year, I would be fine with buying more. But... we are coming off birthday WEEKS here and a whole lot of getting and "me, me, me" for the Ally-Roo. So, I stood my ground.  She wanted a hard cover book and I showed her the price difference and said she would have to trade two soft covers for one hard cover. She handled it all really well... even if she didn't like it exactly.  ;-)

From Barnes and Noble we went to Whole Foods... something I try to do anytime we are in Ann Arbor and I have the time.  It's definitely not the kids favorite past time... but I couldn't pass it up since we were right there!  The kids were really troopers.. and I let them choose a lot of items... we get up to pay, and I do not have my debit card. I realize I have left it in another coat.... no worries, I amazingly have a check book!  And then, I discover that Whole Foods does not accept checks.............. WTF???????

So, the lovely check out lady tells me I can call my husband and he can give them a card over the phone. Problem solved. No worries. I call Scott. No answer.  Call again.  Still no answer. Hmmmm.. that is curious. We don't have a home phone anymore... so he is sure to keep is iPhone on him.  He knows I'm in Ann Arbor... and wouldn't leave it for long.... right???  ;-)

They put my food in some giant fridge to store it... and I go sit down in the Cafe to continue to call him.... for about half an hour.... I then, give up and decide to go do some other things and come back. At this point, Ally is having a mini-meltdown because she wants the food that we "bought".  Luke picks up on this and decides to join her. I drive through town, all the while calling Scott... and finally, an hour later, give up and decide he better be dead on the side of the road somewhere.. or have lost his phone.........

He finally calls when we are at Zeeb Road... apologizes profusely... left his phone in his work bag. Ugh.  So, I decide to still go back and get the food..... I call him when we get there, they punch the credit card numbers in and we're on our way!  The kids really were troopers through all this....... we get home and have a very late dinner... and we all fall into bed.

Saturday, all our very best friends come over... my girls and their hubbies and kids... and all our kids have become the best of friends... and it's just such a fun, relaxing time all around when we get together. We drink wine and eat lots of Mexican food.... and laugh and talk and just "be" together.  We stayed up super late and the kids still get up around 8... but it is always worth it for the time together.... my girls and my hubby and I just had the best talk Saturday night. We didn't solve the world's troubles... but we always talk about life, love and the pursuit of happiness... and all seems right with the world when we have one another....

The kids enjoyed some time outside in the sun and snow the next day... and then, our friends drove off and we look forward to seeing them again soon!!!!!!!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

What a hassel at Whole Foods, but sounds like they were really nice about it! Its good all your friends (except Auntie Chelsea) have kids for yours to be with...while they are young anyway...teenagers will have their own lives...but you never know, they could stay friends and go to Michigan State together!