Thursday, November 6, 2008

A Typical Situation...

This is a typical evening in the McIntosh household...

I get home on a good day between 5:30 and 6:00. It's rush, rush, rush to make some dinner. Sometimes, it's dinner for four, sometimes it's simply feed the kids something, and worry about dinner for the adults after they go down. It varies with what's in the house and my energy level quite frankly!

Luke is not a happy go lucky guy in the evenings. NOT. AT. ALL! Yesterday, I literally had to make dinner holding him the ENTIRE time. How is that possible? It can be done. Not easily... and not without wine... but it can be done!

It's just quite frustrating... the craziness of the evening routine. Screamining baby boy. A bit of a demanding kindergarten girl... and trying to feed them both something that I don't have guilt about. Yesterday, grilled chicken, steamed brocolli and wild rice. Of course, we were eating after 7:00 pm... but that's not really the point now is it?

I also consumed half a bottle of wine in the process... a nice French White Burgandy! Little wine, little cheese... and the screaming baby and process of making dinner wasn't all that bad!

Mommy's little helper!!!

Evenings are crazy! And I must say that I simply feel like I am rushing through absolutely everything and not really spending real quality time with either one of my kids. It's not like I can come home and simply enjoy being with them for a bit. There is always something that has to be done. It's just life, right? Everyone feels this way!?

For all last night's and every night's craziness... there are moments of pure peace. After attempting to feed Luke and having him throw his baby fit cuz frankly he was just tired... I gave up and finally decided to eat myself. Ally had already finished... and she came over and decided to help out and try to feed Luke... and damned if that boy didn't smile and take every morsel she fed him!!!!!!!!! He just stares up at her with his big baby grin... and eats the rest of his dinner in happiness. She is the light of his life for certain.....

It was a good moment..... it was adorable and I'm going to carry that moment with me........ they will always have eachother.......... :-)

5 comments:

Nicole said...

I hope everyone feels this way. I do, that's for sure.

Kathy said...

You painted that picture perfectly...I never heard of white burgandy...have to look into that...
Love you , Mom

Leslie Collins said...

Okay, weird. We had grilled chicken, steamed brocoli and white rice last night. I guess we were thinking the same thing.

I know how it is to have a baby on your hip while cooking dinner. It's just that time of night where they know we need to get something done and they don't want us to.

Have you ever tried to cook ahead and freeze or use a crockpot?

Nicole said...

Yes.. I have done the cooking ahead/crockpot thing from time to time! Must do MORE of that! :-) Also... need to get to Dream Dinners!!!!!!!!

Nicole said...
This comment has been removed by the author.