So, it snowed, but not enough for a snow day much to my chagrin. Ally, on the other hand actually wanted school. ONLY because there is roller skating tonight and if school is cancelled, that is cancelled and little miss social would be bummin'. So..... we had school.
I don't know why I felt like I wanted a day off. I know ten minutes into the day, after I have already heard "I'm bored, what are we doing to DO" and them arguing non-stop, I would be back to wishing school were in session. So... it's a blessing that the day just went on as planned.
I am taking Ally and a friend of hers to dinner before roller skating. She had a gymnastics gathering last weekend and Kennedy used to do gymnastics... so Ally missed her presence at that event and sleepover. She was just saying she missed Kennedy and wanted to do something.... so of course, being the enabler that I am... I offered to do something for the two of them. I cannot turn down a desire to be with your friend. Have I mentioned how I feel about girlfriends? ;-) Plus Kennedy's Mom and I can enjoy a drink and a chat while the kids do their thing. Lovely!
Not quite sure how the logistics of this are going to work quite yet. I get Ally from school at 3:10. We are having dinner at around 5 and rollerskating is at 6. Ending at 8:30 or 9. Do I grab her and come home then go back to town and then, do I hang in town or come home in between. Decisions, decisions. I think I am going to come home.... as much as it can suck to do that, it sucks just as much to kill time. Always killin' time in town. Jackson, you should thank me. I truly add to your economic stimulus.... snacks here, meals there and coffees everywhere!!!!
Luke and I have been home the last two days. Home with no plans, which has been good timing! Luke can so easily be entertained and entertain himself. Ally used to be able to as well. I think the desire to be on the go and stimulated comes with age and with the more they do things... once they are in school, and their day is so packed and fast paced... they crave that all the time. Even Luke wants more interaction with me and more projects to do than he did before starting preschool. They want what they know. And, they are kids with a ton of energy! It is to be expected.
Now that we are through the holidays.... and I have Ally's birthday planned and ready to go... I focus on getting through the winter! Last year, I swore Ally and I would go somewhere for Spring Break! Somewhere warm!!!!!! And that we are! It will be rare that Scott can travel with us that week.... and we made the decision Luke will stay behind as well... making this a "big girls" only trip! Jane, Grace and my mother in law are joining us! It was tough...... and I mean TOUGH!!!.... but we settled on a destination and we are all BOOKED! The McIntosh/Dawson girls are headed to sunny Florida on March 31st! We are staying just south of Palm Beach... at Delray Beach.... north of Fort Lauderdale. So good and SOUTH!!!! It should be plenty warm to enjoy our resort pool and the beach our hotel is right on! So excited to go!!! It is a super bright spot in my winter!!!
Ally and I are planning to go to Chicago for the long President's Day weekend as well. I have a friend in a show at Davenports and I want to do some shopping with my girl for Spring Break! Hopefully, the weather won't be awful... but it is February and it IS Chicago... so you never know. Either way, I get to spend some time with friends-like-family at my home away from home. And Ally gets to go to her favorite city. I love that she and I have been going regularly since she was five months old. She loves Chicago. :-)
Wow... I feel like that just sounds awful. The things I am doing with Ally and leaving Luke behind. :( Cue Mommy guilt! I feel like I have SO much one on one time with Luke. He gets me to himself so very much and I feel like Ally really needs me to make that time happen. Also, let's be honest.... he's still so little and is not the most easy going/adaptable kid in the world. So, leaving him behind is the smart choice. That said... I do need to get some fun on the calendar that involves the litte man! Even if it's some day trips!!!!!
Scott and I are going out tomorrow for his birthday..... we aren't exactly sure where. He can't decide what he wants to do. But, my amazing sibs-in-law are keeping my kids overnight so we have the night to ourselves! At a minimum we will do dinner in Ann Arbor. Maybe go to Detroit for the auto show. But who knows??? Our favorite thing in the world is a long, leisurely dinner, conversation that last hours and good food and drink to go along with it! Love the time with my hubby. We are so blessed to have the time! So blessed to have amazing siblings!
We are going to have the Dawson girls with us next weekend... as it is important to have a kid exchange! Jane and Adam need a night out too! Ally is already looking forward to that. :-) It's a double duty event.... Jane and Adam get away together and we get to have fun here with all the kids. Perfection!
So, a fun weekend to look forward to.... and lots of little bright spots planned already. Happiness is bright spots on the calendar!!!
Update on Goal:
Monday and Tuesday we had our meals as planned! YUM!!! Wednesday, since I forgot about PTO, Scott took the kids to dinner (a treat for them since he's been working so much!) and I grabbed something when I got home. Yesterday, I made the Orange Chicken and we weren't that wowed by it. It was just okay. Probably won't make it again. But... Ally said the GREATEST thing.... she said, "If you don't do new things Mommy, life would be pretty boring!...." AMEN sister! Who's a genius!!?? Feels good to know we are teaching Ally to try new things, to step outside her box and to grow! Makes me so happy!
More importantly, we had food all week, there was never a need to stop at the store and I felt GOOD about that! Let's keep it going!!!!!
What will next week's goal be???????
1 comment:
On your "killing time" moments, you don't HAVE to shop...go to the Library or stop by Grandma's or someone else's house. They would like the visit!
Post a Comment