Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Birthdays and Wine...

We had such a nice little birthday dinner for our birthday boy yesterday.  Just our family of four... leftovers... and the "good wine."  You know... the bottles you save because they are the more expensive wine.  Or they were a gift.  The good wine.  If you don't bust out and drink it for your hubby's birthday, even if it IS on a Monday, when ARE you going to drink it?

So, we helped ourselves to a 2006 Wild  Horse Pinot Noir and it was DELIGHTFUL!  YUM!

We had so many laughs at the dinner table. The kids were feeling particularly silly and in particularly good spirits.  It was just a nice time.

It was nice to be back in the routine of Scott picking Ally up so Luke and I could come home.  He and I still went to the grocery store and we still got all our groceries for this week's dinners... but we were still home before 6 and I still got three loads of laundry done and folded!  And premade some breakfast items to make the mornings easier.  I love that time after school and work that I can get things done...... and then, the kids go down... and it's mine and Scott's time.  So nice.

Ally came home elated yesterday... she landed lots of back hand springs.... on the floor (not the mat).... and she was feeling really good.  It has been keeping her down..... the fact that she can't land a roundoff/back hand spring combo... and the rest of the girls in level four can. So.... she is focused and working on it... but she's also feeling discouraged in there too.  I remind her that there are things she can do that the other girls cannot. She can land a cartwheel on the beam. She can do her front handspring.  It doens't matter.  We always focus on the thing we CANNOT do.  It's just human nature.

So, she works and she works...... it will come in time. I know this.  She isn't so sure quite yet.

She really is doing so well....... she is prepared for her level four fun meets....... routines down..... it will just be a matter of how she can do in an actual "meet situation." Scott and I are totally on the fence on this one.  A part of us thinks she will get out there and love it... totally rock it. Another part of us worries, she will work herself up into a frenzy... cry and run off the floor.  Either way... we will be there with smiles plastered on our faces come March 24.  :-)

She is working on level five "tricks" now already.... since she is bored of some level four stuff.  She has both level four and five routines memorized since she watches her level five friends all the time.  I think she really wants to "catch up" to one of her best friends, Cara..... who is a level ahead. So far, I see her putting the right amount of pressure on herself and not getting too caught up in it.

She still talks about wanting to do other sports. She wants to get back at golft this summer... and is looking forward to seeing her friends this summer at the club. She wants to try volleyball when it is available to her as well.  She has no interest in basketball, soccer or tennis at this time... although those are all sports that she has access to and could learn. We shall see! She despises running.  ;-)  She even hates to run down the "runway" to vault.................... and it is almost comical to watch her little face when she does this.  I am not sure how I am not going to laugh my butt off at her come meet time. 

For now... gymnastics is her biggest passion.... and she loves every minute of it.  She is reaching that point where she chooses to spend time in the gym.  On a given weekend day, she often says she would rather be at the gym.  She would just rather be active than sitting around bored, any day!

Then, there is Luke................

Yesterday, my friend Debbie (who has a son in Luke's preschool class) asked if we wanted to join her and Joey in a Thursday morning art class at Ella Sharp.  When we got in the car, I asked Luke about it....... to which he responded, "Why would I take another class Mommy? We do art in school. That's just silly."

HAHAHAHA!  When I told Scott this story... he said Luke is just damn smart. Duh!  He doesn't need more art.  "He needs to learn to run and kick and punch people."

Lovely Scott.  Just lovely.

So, I guess no art for the little man.  It's a 9:00 am class in Jackson anyway....... eeeek.... not a fan of that on my first day of the week off with him.  We like to ease into our "weekend....."  :-)

We learned some pretty excellent news last week........... Queens is going to start a preschool!  I am going to have both my kids in the same building an entire year sooner than I thought. This is going to be SO FREAKIN' amazing........... not to mention, it will just be so great for Luke to really get used to the school a year before he starts officially going there.  It will be another period of adjustment, but it is all around, the best thing to do and Scott and I are both just so happy they are doing it!

Queens will also be offering Latch Key now... a huge bonus for some....... even for me!  You never know when you could use an extra hour or something! It's a great move all around for my Queens family!  I'm pretty excited about it.  If you couldn't tell!?!?

The only little glitch is that the four year old preschool will be Monday, Wednesday and Friday.... and I work Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday... and have NO DESIRE to work different days..... so we will need to find someone to watch Luke on Tuesdays. And then..... I get Fridays free!  Oh the joy!  :-)

It's already a good week blog friends......... hope it is for you too!

No comments: