Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Hi Honey...

This morning, Scott takes both Ally and Luke to school. This is how things are SUPPOSED to go each morning.  He drives RIGHT by both schools on his way to work.  It is ten times easier for him to do the drop off than it is for me.  For me to take Luke, I have to go into downtown (a 30 min commute) and then, drive out to where I work on Parnall Road (a 10-15 min commute, depending).

So.... of COURSE things didn't go as planned.... even though it really seemed like I was actually going to arrive to work, on time..... something I NEVER do since Luke starte preschool.

I leave the house. I am so freakin' happy cuz it's a brand new day, the kids are on their merry way... and the icing on the cake.... MY GARAGE DOOR FINALLY works!!!!!!!!!  I am giddy with happiness.

I am driving along. David Gray comes on Coffehouse.  The day just keeps getting brighter.  I am singing. I am driving.  I am ON TIME!

My phone rings. I look down. It's Scott.

I know what words are going to come out of his mouth before I even pick up the phone.

He has forgotten Luke's lunch.  But.... I checked the kitchen!  I looked!!!!  Cuz last time he drove Luke in he forgot his lunch and I had to drive into town on a day that I didn't need to drive into town and I cried!!!!!!!!

So... I brace myself and say hello.......

I was right. He forgot his lunch. AND HIS HAT!  Luke has nothing to eat and nothing to keep his baby head warm when he goes outside. 

Sigh. 

I react internally. I want to be pissed off. I am already passed Spring Arbor. Now I have to drive back to Concord... then, drive into downtown... then drive out to Parnall.  UGH!!!

But, I sigh and say it's okay... it happens.  Because, it does. It happens to all of us.  I could have done it too.  (just for the record - I have never forgotten Luke's lunch.... *pat on the back*)  So, I don't get upset, angry or even frustrated.  It's how things go.

"It's not always rainbows and butterflies. It's compromise that moves us along...."

It's forgiving your hubby when he makes a mistake you very well could make. It's forgiving yourself when you make the same mistake the next week. Not beating yourself up.  None of us is perfect.  As my sis in law said recently.... 'those who live in glass houses, shouldn't throw stones." And like I said. We all live in glass houses.  None of us is perfect.

Who would want to be?

So... I got the lunch... and the bonus of that, was I got to smile again when I watched my garage door go down on it's own for the second time today!  It's the little things.....

I drove into St. Mary's and dropped off the lunch without Luke seeing me. But, I got to see him... and I saw him smiling and happily playing... and it was all worth it for that one little glimpse into his happy day.  I love to see my kids so independent, strong and happy without me around.  I love to know they are content in their world.

And... I got to work late.... and I will get to work late every day from here on out most likely....... and that's just the way it is.  Cuz I am a working mom... and I do a damn good job of keeping all my plates balanced....

Tonight's balance...... girls' night!!! Sushi!!!  Wine!  Laughter........  :-)

Goal Update!

Plans to work out with Kristen tomorrow night! Cardio time!!!!!!!  A plan means I will most likely, actually DO IT.... cuz I hate to let people down and it's also a social engagement that way too!  Woo hoo!

No comments: