Saturday, October 11, 2008

What an Experience...

My friend Kristen got tickets to the Oprah Winfrey Show yesterday... she somehow scored them online by just submitting a request and writing a short story about how her Mom would love to go.... that sort of thing!  Well, she was given four tickets... and I was lucky enough to make the short list to be able to go!  :-)

Jane, Kristen's Mom (Marilyn), Kristen and I all left Jackson at the ass-crack of dawn.... and got to Chicago in time for our 11:00 am check-in time for a 1:00 pm taping.  What a production!!!!  

When we arrived around 9:40 am Chicago time... the line was already forming outside the studio.  We ran to the nearest restaurant, a Subway, used their bathroom and grabbed a sandwich to eat in line.  We got back to the line and it was already moving! We had to inhale our sandwiches as we shuffled in through security as no food was allowed once we were inside.  A little indigestion was a small price to pay, right?  We were, after all going to the Oprah Winfrey Show!!!!

So... we made it through all the hoops and then, proceeded to sit and wait for at least an hour and a half..... Kristen had to stay downstairs because the Oprah Winfrey Show does not believe you are capable of walking up stairs if you are pregnant!  HA!!!!  So... Jane and I drank water, frequently peed and talked about every topic under the sun while we waited and anticipated being let into the actual studio....

The entire room was just buzzing!  As you can imagine, a room full of excited, dolled up women waiting to go to a taping of a show that is really a DREAM for a lot of people - it was electric!  I was surprised at how far many people had traveled in order to come to the show!  How many of them actually got on a plane to come to the show!  Amazing... Oprah really does have quite the following!!!!

Well.... somewhere along the way of calling groups in.... I realized I had to REALLY pee... so I made my way downstairs to the bathroom. Unfortunately as soon as I got there, they called our group's name... so I was immediately ushered into the studio.  Jane was still upstairs. We waited... and waited... and waited.  No Jane. We got seated, and luckily they allowed us to keep a space for her, but she just wasn't coming!  I was totally freaked out... I abandoned my little sister-in-law and now she was lost and alone!  :-)))))  HA! (Any of you who KNOW Jane are laughing your ass off right now!)  

Luckily, Jane came down when the number group was called.  For some reason our group was called by name early... and Jane made it when the rest of the groups were called in my number.  She never heard Kristen's name called.  LOL!!!!  

No harm done... she made it and I was just happy she wasn't left wandering around the waiting room....  :-)

The guest was Suze Ormand... it was a financial show.  Not the most exciting topic of course... but still... WE WERE AT THE OPRAH WINFREY SHOW!!!  It was just so cool to see a live taping, see all that behind the scenes action!  Just an all-around cool experience!!!!!!

We were not allowed to have our cameras or cell phones in the studio at all... so after the show, we grabbed just a few shots... before we headed to Rise for some FABULOUS sushi and ginger martinis!!!!!!

It was such a wonderful day, with some of my favorite people in the world.... thank you so much Kristen for allowing us to have the experience!  It's a day I will never forget!!!!!!!!!




5 comments:

Kathy said...

So do you know WHEN it will be on???? Were you on camera at all? Where were you sitting???

Love you,
Mom

Nicole said...

OH!!! It will air on Monday! We were sitting on the left side of the studio if you were on stage with Oprah looking out at the audience, we were left.... in the first row of the riser section.... there is a section right in front of her on the "floor" and we were in the back riser section, right in front!

Leslie Collins said...

How exciting. I will have to DVR it.

LeeAnn | {froggyleggs} said...

Cant wait to look for you guys!!

Anonymous said...

Hi...my sis in law mentioned she read your blog and that you attended Oprah in October. I, too, was lucky enough to attend a taping on October 8th. It was a total dream come true! Our show was live and was also a tad dull (as far as Oprah shows go!) as it was about the current state of the economy. But it was the BEST time! Glad you had fun!