Monday, October 27, 2008

Halloween in the Windy City...

Ally and I traveled with my friend Kristen this weekend to Chicago to stay with our friends Beth, Scott, Isabel and Eli!  We had SUCH a good weekend, in spite of my illness.  I put on my big girl pants and dealt with it!  It's always worth it to spend the weekend with friends!

Friday, we drove in... I picked Ally up from school, Kristen met us at our house and we took off right away.  We got into Chicago in time for a late dinner... and drank a LOT of wine!  We didn't end up going out that night... just stayed in and let the little girls (Ally and Isabel) play and and the big girls stayed up and talked!  We ordered in Thai.... ah, the joys of Chicago and delivery on every corner!

Saturday was a BUSY day!  We attempted to get up fairly early and do some shopping before our S Factor class.  I am almost POSITIVE I haven't blogged about S Factor yet.... hmmm.... how to explain the fact that I have taken pole dancing classes?  And, this time, I was there for a lap dance class!  It's really one of the most amazing experiences.  I can't convey what an awesome workout it is... how empowering it is... and it's not at all "dirty" or what you think of when you envision pole dancing!  Check out the website.... but unless you have the opportunity to actually go to a class, it's SO HARD to explain how amazing it is.  I will say this... I am considering driving to Chicago weekly just so I can be part of it.  It's really amazing....

Okay, that said..... we had S Factor at 2:00 and got some shopping in before....  While we were at class, Beth's awesome parents took the girls to a Halloween event at Borders.  They were all dressed up in their costumes and got to hear stories and do all sorts of fun stuff!  

We came back and got ready for a kids and adults party at a friend of Beth's.  It was a spectacular party with pumpkin carving, bobbing for apples and a pinata!  GREAT food.... the kids just had the best time and the adults had the BEST martinis!  Can't beat a party with a great mixture of things for kids AND adults!!!!!

Of course, we weren't fully prepared for the party... we didn't have pumpkins... so on the way, Beth's husband Scott stopped for us and picked some up.  We were SO concerned that he was going to have to haul three pumpkins AND the passing dish and Beth's 2 year old, Eli.  All the girls went in one car and Scott and Eli (running the errands) in the other.  Well... little did Beth and I know we needn't worry about Scott and the pumpkins.  He comes into the house and hands us a bag.... with THREE pumpkins in it....... and here they are.....



I'm not sure if this picture really conveys how tiny the pumpkins actually were! They were grapefruit size for certain!  Beth was the SUPER TROOPER of the year and was actually able to carve a TINY face in the grapefruit, I mean pumpkin!  HAHA!  The girls SO didn't care.  They thought they were great..... and well, Beth and I didn't go get them, so can we REALLY complain?  :-)

If nothing else, it sure did provide us with something to laugh our asses off at.......

After the party, we headed back and got the little girls off to bed, so the big girls could go out for (more) martinis and sushi!  Isabel and Ally got a little cuddle in with Auntie Kristen before heading off to dreamland.....


What a cute picture, huh?  I love that shot!  They're all snuggled in.... under the giant Cubs blanket..... oh, poor Cubs fans.......

We had fabulous sushi and far too many martinis that night.... poor Kristen!!!  She's pregnant and Beth and I must have been most annoying!  She was quite the trooper though... SUCKS to be the sober one!  I was five months pregnant at her bachelorette party. I remember it well. All I wanted was some Jimmy Johns!!!!  :-)))))) And, all my girls wanted to do was hit a college house party after a night out at the bar(s)!!!!!  

All, in all... a GREAT weekend in Chicago.  As always.  I love that town and consider it my second home more than anyplace else on earth. I always feel so welcome and at home in Beth and Scott's home... and it's just wonderful to have such close friends that I know I can just go there, with my little girl and have the time of my life!  

Huge thanks to Scott for watching Ally while we took his wife out!!!!! We couldn't have had our time without you!

Huge thanks to Kristen for putting up with our drunken-ness.....

And huge thanks to Beth.... for EVERYTHING!  And you know what I mean....

We're so lucky that our little girls are friends.... I hope they will continue the tradition we've started!!!!!!!



3 comments:

Leslie Collins said...

I would LOVE to do an S Factor class. I have heard great things about them. Do they even offer them anywhere around here?!

Hope you are feeling better.

Urquhart Family said...

Get better soon!! Glad you had so much fun in Chicago! And yes, I think you have the cutest blue monster EVER!!

jane said...

Guess monsters are the hot costume this year :) Luke and Grace will look so cute together in their monster costumes. Looks like Chicago was fun, as always. Those pumpkins are hilarious.