Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Wacky Weather...

What is UP with this weather? Seriously? What the hell???? It's snowing right now.  Yesterday, I had all the windows open in the house - at least until it started to rain!  Monday... the kids rode their scooters to the library after school and played outside until dinner time - in shorts!

Today snow?  WTF???  Not cool Michigan.  Not cool.

I am ready as anyone for spring.  It really hit me Monday when I got home and the kids just changed and ran outside... how very ready I am!  There is a small window where it's nice enough for them to go outside and not "too hot."  Yes... my children will quickly complain that it's too hot to go outside... so I desperately NEED spring for a while!  We all do!

We need the sun.We need the Vitamin D!!!!!!

This past winter I had some vitamin levels tested... one of which was my Vitamin D.  It was initially tested for immune reasons.... and since it came back quite low, I started taking an additional supplement of it on top of my multi-vitamin.  Let me tell you.... it altered my mood like NOTHING else!

I always knew I was "happier" in the summer and sunny months.  Your body absorbs 1,000 IU of Vitamin from the sun in 20 minutes. That's the average person's daily requirement.  If the sun isn't out... if you stay out of the sun... or if you regularly use sunblock, you won't absorb it.  I had no idea how it affected my mood.  Now that I have been taking 2,000 IU each day... I just fell a bit elevated. I don' t know how to explain it.  Just happier...not super noticeable... but enough that every so often, I will just be sitting there and think to myself.... "I am happy and I don't really know why!"

This sounds silly... I realize. But... moral of the story is that we all need some sun to be happy and there's a real scientific reason behind it!  Vitamin D!!!!

So... hello spring?  Come on!  I would love to stop taking my extra supplement and just lay out in the shining sun 20 minutes a day!

Doctor's orders!!!!!!

2 comments:

Kathy said...

I agree....its been beautiful down here all week ( low 70's) until today...rain, and more rain, but at least NO SNOW!
Definitely GREEN out there....they even mowed our lawn on Monday...LOVE the smell. Dave and I have been walking 1/3 mile every night (that's once around our pond). They are working on the pool too...that will be nice this summer!

Alberta Ziepiela said...

Nicka you are right crappy weather, nothing like it was the day Dziadzia passed away on April24 2001...it was warm and sunny and this day just adds to my misery...and not amount of Vit D can make me feel better even tho I take 2000 IU...Tell Ally congrats on her gymnastics...love Gramma Z