Wednesday, March 9, 2011

My Doctor...

I just had an unusual experience at my doctor's office... and I had to share it and write it down.  I saw my doc yesterday and had a follow up with him today.  It was my annual physical, and also a chance for him to see me 24 hours or so after my antibiotics, steriods and homeopathic remedies.  I can already see improvement, though I am far from "all better."

We went through the usual routine.  My insurance and company require that I answer a series of health questions and achieve a certain score.  If my health is failing in certain areas, I must commit to an improvement plan in order to recieve coverage at a reduced rate. I think this is all a good, sensible thing and it does not bother me in the least.

I should mention this - I see a homeopathic doctor. He is also a traditional doctor... but I chose him because he is also homoepathic and believes in certain alternative treatments.

One of those treatments is a form of chiropractic adjustment and he usually evaluates me and gives me an adjustment of some kind each visit.  We did so today... and discussed some of the ways in which I am "off"  :-)))  For example... my hips don't line up... which he says is simply from every day life.... you extend your right leg more than your left and your body falls out of alignment.... so we worked to realign me!  ;-)

I shared with him how worried I am about my head and the flight still... and he assured me I will be fine as I am now hearing "popping noises" which tells him that the fluid is moving around and not stuck in there anymore.  :-)))))  He also told me to constantly use my nasal spray.....

But.... the reason for my post on my doctor is this:  as I was checking out.... he always walks me to the front desk.... and this time he says to me... "when do you leave again?"  I remind him I am leaving Friday. He reaches into his pocket and pulls out some cash. He selects a dollar bill and hands it to me and says "there is an old Jewish belief that if you help someone in need, you will be protected. I want you to give this to someone in need while you are on vacation, and God will protect you."

I was stunned... and I wanted to hug the man. What a kind thing to do. What a wonderful thing to share with me... especially today... I could not have needed that act of kindness more...

So, Dr. Israel, I will take your dollar with me to Mexico, where there is surely great need and I will give it to the first person I come across... so I will be protected my entire trip through.... thank you for sharing your belief with me... I promise to pay it forward.....

3 comments:

Kathy said...

He sounds cool....

Nicole said...

Oh that is so cool!

Leslie Collins said...

What a great story! Thank you for sharing. :)