This morning, Queens hosted a Muffins with Mom event for Reading Month at the school. All the Moms, Aunts or Grandma's got to attend a nice little breakfast even with the students and READ with them!!!! It was a really nice time... and a great way to kick off my day. Just being able to spend a half an hour, one on one with Ally... without Luke screaming for attention... was just so nice for both of us. I know she greatly appreciates the one on one time... and so do I! She chose three books to take and read... some oldies but goodies... "How to Be a Baby: By Me, the Big Sister," "Someday," and "My Name is Not Isabella!"
We both chose a mini blueberry muffin and chocolate milk.... :-) Sat with our buddies, the Manchesters, and thoroughly enjoyed our time together....
Yesterday, Ally and I met with our therapist and started talking about some of the ways we can work toward making our household a more peaceful place. It was interesting to sit and listen to how Ally characterizes her "fits" and how she centers everything around Luke. At least in her early descriptions of what makes her the 'Most Mad' - it is all Luke. ;-) Interesting for certain. She was asked to describe how she feels when she gets really angry and she described it as "red and hot in the face" which I thought was a GREAT way to really describe it. That's what the therapist is really looking for... physical descriptors, use of colors... she had told us that in our initial meeting with her. And Ally obliged right out of the gate. We talked, the three of us for half the session... and then, Ally went back alone with her and talked some more. It must have gone well because Ally was bummed when the session was over and told her she couldn't wait to see her next week.... that's reassuring......
The therapist gave Ally a note card that has a triangle and some words around it. She told us Ally could talk to us about it when she was ready. Ally wasn't ready last night and we didn't push. On top of day one of therapy, Ally started with a sore throat last night... :-( And complaints of a headache. I am pretty sure she pushed through to go to school today just because of the Muffins with Mom event. And I am banking on a phone call to pick her up at some point today. We shall see. She sometimes tries too hard to be a tough kid.......
1 comment:
OH how fun to hear other schools do the Muffins with Mom too! We have Donuts with Dad as well. I never looked at it from a parents point of view but yes, what a great way to spend some one-on-one time! Awww!
I'm so happy for you that therapy is going well. Love love love Dot! Don't you wish we could clone her and make a mini Pocket Dot to carry around with you HAHAHAHA!!
Post a Comment