Monday, March 7, 2011

Get Your Motor Runnin'...

Mornings sometimes really suck at our house.  Seriously...... even when I think it's going to go okay... even when I actually get out of bed on time.. and the coffee has been made... and I am singing along to Katy Perry in the shower.... Ally wakes up... in the MOST FOUL mood and the energy of the entire household shifts.

It sucks!

She does not wake up smiliing.  Okay, okay.. I get this!  I am not a morning person either... but it's how she deals with it. Or rather, how she does NOT deal that really gets me.

Typical Morning:
  • My alarm goes off at 5:30 am.
  • I get two cups of coffee, bring one to Scott, jump in shower.
  • While I am getting ready, Ally's alarm goes off and she stumbles into my bathroom to find me.
  • She lays down on the bathroom floor.
  • I ask "what's wrong honey?"  She tells me she's tired.
  • Scott brings her clothes in.
  • She gets dressed.
  • She complains about each article of clothing.
  • She realizes she forgot to change her underwear after completely dressing.
  • She yells that Daddy forgot her socks.
  • She huffs and puffs while I do her hair... complaining about how I do it.. or that hte product is getting her wet or that I'm going to burn her with the flat iron.
  • She then starts in on "what's for breakfast" and is usually never happy with the answer. (Mind you... we MAKE an actual breakfast for her EVERY morning! It's not cold cereal around here!)
  • She gets angry when we tell her to brush her teeth.
  • She dawdles getting her coat, boots and hat on.... complete distracted or half asleep... or who knows!
  • She's out the door......
She's just so unhappy sometimes.  I can understand hating morning... but it seems as if she just hates her life from the get-go each and every day!!!!  I  know I'm over reacting.  I just can't imagine how hard her life is, that she has THAT much to be upset about.... really? REALLY????

It's days like this that I can't help but feel like a failure as a parent... that I missed some milestone... some developmental something or other that I didn't adequately give her... something very fundamental....

She is my daily challenge. Her moods make or break my day. And it's not easy living like that.

Did  I mention we start therapy again this week?  I'm not ashamed to ask for help with this one.  God knows I need it.

4 comments:

It's A Wonderful Life said...

So sorry to hear Nikki! I can relate. I have one of those too! Her mood can make or break my day! It horrifies me to think that it gets worse with age not better! Hang in there!! You are not alone!

Urquhart Family said...

My oldest is the same way...you are NOT alone!! If he wakes up on the wrong side of the bed, we all pay. ALL of us...me, Daddy, Ty, Preschool. Not good. I wake up every morning praying that he'll wake up in a good mood. If it gets worse, I'm in trouble!

Nicole said...

Thanks girls....... more than anything, i truly feel better knowing I am not alone! Not that I wish this on anyone... ;-) But, you know what I mean.....

Nicole said...

OH Nicki!! 1) I totally agree... mornings SUCK (ok, work mornings suck I think is more like it). 2) I so so so so understand where you're coming from with the parenting thing. Its such a hard, hard job, especially when you have children who seem to "stump" every parenting theory you have. And might I say... YAY for Dot? I'm still seeing her and pretty much want her to come live with us. HAHAHA!