Thursday, February 4, 2010

Blog Etiquette...

Although I have maintained this blog for sometime now, I still wonder what the rules of blog etiquette are? For instance, when someone asks a question via comments left on a post, do I answer them via a comment of my own? Do I just email them directly? Do a write a blog post about it? Or is the question just rhetorical and requires no answer?

Also... I have been considering starting a new blog. One, for my thoughts... maybe my own personal rants and raves... mommy sanity blog for ME... and another for kid updates, etc. Essentially, one would be the real me... read at your own risk... and the other just the kids, whether that be good, bad or indifferent. Hmmm????

I don't really "see" myself as two people. Mom in one moment... and individual "Nicole" in the next... but I recognize that people read blogs for different reasons... and also, I wonder about the fact that so much of this is a record of my kids... and do I really want all that other "stuff" dispersed in with their electronic memory book?

It's quite possible I am overthinking this...... ;-) God knows I have a tendency to do so. ;-)

So, on to answer the questions that got me on this line of thinking in the first place...

Karen - Ally was historically in gymnastics at Joan Boyers a block away from our house in Concord. It was CRAZY convenient and wonderful for her to go to class there. Since Joan retired... we have not had her in any gymnastics class, she has only taken "camps" at the YMCA. She has continually expressed an interest in gymnastics and I would love to get her in a class... I will look into where you take your daughter!!!!

Right now Ally is doing ballet at the Jackson School of the Arts... and loving it. She took an art class too, last semester, but I can't keep that commitment of two classes a night, which my current work schedule, Scott's work and school schedule, and maintaining MY sanity. Things will change as our family shifts and I go part-time... but that change will take some time. Adjustments for all of us!!!!!

Nicole - we are not planning on taking Luke to Orlando with us. Frankly, I never even considered taking him for a minute! (does that make me a horrid mom???) First of all, I am still haunted by the last time I took him on a plane. See previous blog post. Second, we will be staying at a really nice hotel. I think Ally can handle this. I can't see patrons of The Ritz enjoying a screaming toddler. But, really, that's just for mine and Scott's anxiety! :-) Third, the thought of Luke having a fit in Disney and us having to constantly adapt and change to his needs would be a bummer for Ally. I will be alone with Ally much of the time, as Scott will be at a conference, so there would be so many things we could NOT do (rides, shows, etc) cuz I couldn't take Luke. So, Ally would be living in toddler-land Disney.. when she is really old enough to enjoy different parts. And if I have to pay a fortune to get us in the park, I don't want Luke wasting my money..... :-))))))

That's a pretty black and white portrayal... I don't necessarily feel that strongly..... I think I just want Ally to have a great experience and I think the age difference between the two of them at this point, doesn't make it easy to take them. In another few years, when Luke is really old enough to enjoy it and do some more things... Ally will be lucky enough to be that Older Sibling as I was... and go again! There has to be some benefit to paving the way. HA!

Moreoever, my hubby would not even step on the plane with Luke..... to this day, he still can't bring himself to even READ the blog post about my time a plane with him. Just hearing about it makes him want to puke. :-)))))))))))

So..... with that..... anyone taken their kids to Disney? Any tips out there??? I picked up an Unofficial Guide to Walt Disney World that I am looking forward to reading. I am not even sure how many days I want to spend at the actual parks themselves. The resort we will be staying at alone will have SO MUCH for Ally to do. A whole bunch of pools, lazy river, adult-led children's activities, guided nature/eco tours, etc. Seems like we will need some down time at the resort... And I think Ally could just swim all day!

Also... which parks are best? I think it's ridiculous to try to do the entire "World" in one trip. Ally will just fall over from exhaustion as will I. I tend to think the Magic Kindgom is the most important World to see. Animal Kingdom maybe too (but come on, it's really just a zoo!!!!). And the one that used to be MGM... seems like they have a lot of live shows, etc... and Ally LOVES live shows......

I guess my point is, I don't want to buy five days of passes, to only really use two. I also don't want to only buy two, to realize we can only do shorter days cuz of the exhaustion level and feel like I wish I had gotten more... cuz more up front is way cheaper than buying more at the gate. I am overthinking again. ;-)

Okay, must stop now. Sushi is calling..................

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Nicole, I just moved my blog to wordpress! I find it exciting and more adult-like if that makes sense. There are so many features and fun layouts with wordpress. If your looking to start another blog, their site is pretty user friendly. Different pages could be set up so you could post about you & have a section just for the kiddos. You should check out the website if your seriously consdiering a new blog. I couldnt be happier with my new set up!! :)

Urquhart Family said...

Such a good decision on not taking Luke...in my opinion!!!! And I love your blog...you, Mommy, whatever. It all gets mixed in together...and I like that. I think we need to SEE that as mothers...that we have lives outside of our kids! It may be our most important job ever...but we are so much more than Mommies!! :)