Friday, February 5, 2010

Long-Haired Freaky People Need Not Apply...

My son is destined for greatness. He might be a rock star. Maybe on the cover of those historical romance novels, you know the guy with the long, flowing hair. Either way... he is obviously going to have long hair because attempting to cut the boy's hair is like attempting to cut one of his limbs off while he's wide awake with no anesthesia!

I dropped Ally off at ballet yesterday, and thought I would run quickly and get Luke's hair cut. I knew it wasn't going to be fun or easy... but I thought we could just zip into Regis and be done with it.

I casually mentioned getting our hair cut. Luke started to whimper. I tried to explain that he needed his haircut (like reasoning with a terrorist I suppose)... and then, started the bribery. Offered candy... told him I would hold him... pretty much tried to set the stage for what was to come, but make him think it was going to be just fine. Mommy would be right there AND you get a bag of SKITTLES!!!!!!!!!

He was excited about the Skittles. Smiles... for a moment. Then, we walked through the door of the salon........ and he started to whimper. Then, he started to scream. Uh oh. This was so not going well at all and no one has even looked at him let alone TOUCHED him.

So, a nice, lovely woman takes us back and Luke really starts to lose it. He's shaking. He's crying that heartbroken/hurt cry. I sit with him and it just goes from bad to worse then, to even worse than that. He's thrashing about. He's completely lost it and freaking. The woman starts to look nervous. Really nervous. She does not look like she has the fortitude to handle this situation, and quite frankly... I'm not sure I can either.......

So, I stand up......... and tell her it's not going to work today............

We walk out........ Luke starts to breathe normally again. And then says to me "no haircut today mommy???" I say, "no haircut buddy"... and he is all smiles.... and I have to say to myself... the long hair is not so bad...... it's surely not worth the trauma that he obviously felt.

I will be investing in a Flobee........ scenes such as those are best played out in one's personal bathroom....... not a public venue!!!!!!!

3 comments:

Kathy said...

Oh Nina...I just LOVE to read your posts...I can't stop laughing...you make my day!!!! Thank you, Mom

Russ and Karen Gaston said...

Kids! I've been contemplating giving Bennett his first hair cut at home, but after your experience I'm not so sure. Seeing as how I'm by no means a professional hair stylist and I can barely cut wrapping paper in a straight line, I'd probably end up stabbing or cutting him. Who knew grooming could be such a struggle with little ones?! LOL

Urquhart Family said...

Now you know why Terry cuts the boys hair!!! :)