Monday, June 14, 2010

And, We're Back....

So, today was rough.  Got very little sleep the last couple nights... and started to feel major anxiety about the night ahead and just how to deal with Luke's inability to remain in his "big boy bed."

I talked to a lot of people... did some research... and finally, while driving home, came to the conclusion that we had no choice... we had to just put his crib back up.  He was not going to stay in the bed no matter what we did.  And, I was not willing to give up sleeping... or give in to his wanting me to sleep with him... or any of it..... I just couldn't do it. The thought of all of it made me sick to my stomach and gave me anxiety.  

So, I came home... and said to Scott while he was making dinner..... "I want us to turn the bed back into a crib."  

He thought I was kidding... and didn't even really look at me.  Just chuckled.

I said nothing.  I did not laugh.  Then, he realized I was serious.

"Holy shit, you're serious????"  I told him that I was... dead serious.  I think we tried to move him to the bed... and it didn't go well. At. All.  In fact, it went worse than I could have ever imagined!!!!  Not only would he not fall asleep on his own.... the whole thing was making him wake in the night again... something he hasn't done since he was 9 months old... 

So, after informing me that he was "pretty sure" we didn't even have all the parts we needed..... Scott took his dinner... and his Summer Shandy... and went into Luke's room.  In silence, started taking his bed apart.

Uh -oh... this is not going well.

So, I offer help.  He says I can start by finding some of the screws and such.  You see... when we took apart the crib and turned it into the full bed... the kids were in there with us... and screws and brackets and pieces and parts just went everywhere..... and being the people we are... we even threw some away.

First job:  go through the garbage.  This was my first task (I felt I owed Scott this much).  So, I found the brackets and a couple screws in the garbage that was still in the house..... albeit, covered in some coffee grounds..... totally fine.  No harm done.

So, we take inventory of the situation.  We are missing two large screws. A medium screw.  One wing nut.  And a few small screws.  Off to the garbage outside...........

Scott empties every single bag.  This is not pretty folks. This is not pretty at all.

This should tell you how very important sleep is to us. This should also demonstrate that we are complete idiots...... who the hell just throws screws and such away?  Ummmmm... that would be us. We throw everything away!!!!!!!!!!!

We find some little screws...... and the wing nut......

The two largest and probably most important screws are still missing.  How did we lose the two biggest parts here????  

Scott starts to put it together..... he feels he just has to do something and maybe some miracle will happen and the bed will work without two very important pieces...... I am pretty certain at this point, he is delirious.  I get him another beer.

So...... I think to myself..... "Self, where would two big ole screws go?"  And the answer comes to me.  The answer should have been obvious a long time prior to this light bulb moment... but I am sleep-deprived people.  

I went to the toy basket and started throwing shit everywhere..... and voila!!!!  Two large screws placed in the toy basket by Luke.... of that I am certain!

VICTORY!!!!!!!!!  We have all the parts....

We feverishly put the crib back together..... and feel victorious in our quest.

It is now 10:00 pm.

It took us 3 and 1/2 hours to get that bad boy reassembled.   Good.  God.

I show Luke his crib... and he lights up. I read him two stories.  He still isn't so "sure" about going to bed..... but, as I lay him down and kiss him goodnight, he doesn't cry. Doesn't ask me to stay and "pap" him... he allows me to leave the room while he is completely silent... and then, my boy goes to sleep all by himself...... in the comfort of his crib.......

Here's to sleeping the night through my boy.  I love you Luke and I'm sorry we tried to force you into something you just weren't ready for yet...... I'm so glad we took the time to undo what we had done... and I'm so happy you're sleeping soundly............

We'll try again another time.......  :-)

3 comments:

LeeAnn | {froggyleggs} said...

Hey, you gotta do, what you gotta do. Im glad you were able to find all the screws in the end!!

Kathy said...

I can't believe what you go through...and the way you tell the story...I am rolling on the ground with laughter...Dave thinks I am nuts!

Mom

jane said...

I love what you said on fb, that he can be your baby a little bit longer :) Glad you got some sleep.