So, we didn't go anywhere.... and we haven't really even DONE anything.... not major anyway. I am kind of feeling badly about that. I feel like I should do more for Ally's break... but there are so many factors in the way.
First of all, it seems as if Spring Break is always going to be this first full week in April. That is problematic for us, as a family. So long as Scott works in the world of corporate tax... we will NEVER be able to travel this week as a family. That is a HUGE bummer. HUGE! My Dad and Step-Mom, Geri have gone to Anna Maria Island every year for a while.... and I was chatting with Geri Wednesday, and pretty much had a cottage "mentally" rented down there for next year. Then, I found out the exact dates... and Scott said no way. :-( It's not HIS fault... it's just his job. I could go somewhere without him I suppose.... but it's hard to spend thousands on a major trip that he is left out of! Long weekends... girl trips... all those make sense... but to take our kids to a beach for seven nights and not have him experience that...?? Can't imagine. But, who knows.... maybe he will insist. ;-)
I worked two full days Monday and Tuesday this week, and half a day on Wednesday. I thought that we would spend Thursday and Friday doing things outside. Not. So. Much. It's freezing. There was SNOW on the ground this morning! WTF? I remember one year when I went to Florida in high school with friends and my brother was home. He built me a snowman and made a sign for it. "Spring Break 1994" HA! So... it HAS snowed in April before. This is Michigan after all!
Ally went to Nana and Papa's Monday and she had a really great day. She and Nana went on a 9+ mile bike ride on the Falling Water Trail! Wow!!! More than 9 miles for her first time out! Impressive little girl! Tuesday, Ally had a sleep over at a friend's... and then, Wednesday, I was home in the afternoon. I can't recall what we did exactly.... so it must not have been too memorable! ;-)
Yesterday, we hung around here in the morning and early afternoon, then went over to my friend, Jeanne's house. Her kids are older... the youngest girl, Ellie, is 11.... and Ally absolutely LOVED her!!! She is into Hannah Montana and American Girl Dolls and The Littlest Pet Shop. All things Ally loves! Ellie was so sweet and patient with Ally. There is a HUGE difference between 7 and 11... and I know there were times Ellie was probably annoyed, but she took it all in stride. Even Luke fell in love with her. He would come up to me now and again just to make sure I was still there... and then, tell me. "I go check on girls..." and off he'd be again for a while. It was a great night... and Jeanne and I just sat and talked and talked and drank yummy, fruity rum drinks!!!! They live on a lake and we had a different vision of what the day would be like... too bad it was FREEZING! We still had a great visit. Can't wait for summer... we will probably just move in.... ;-)
So far today, we have stayed home. I thought we would go somewhere... but after my morning coffee, I got a burst of energy.... and started in on Ally's room. Four hours and five garbage bags later... I feel like I just lost a million pounds. I have been carrying the weight of that DISASTER of a room with me for AGES! Ally is a slob. Total slob. And, I don't quite fancy myself her personal maid... so I don't clean up after her all the time. Just don't! It was out of control... and the reality is, there is just TOO MUCH STUFF in there. So, to help her keep in clean... we have to keep it simple. She cannot have a lot in there.... so out it went. Some gone for good. Some into the playroom. And all the old clothes bagged up for Grace some day.
Feels SOOOOOOO good to have that done. I did the great clothing exchange of 2010 with my closet yesterday. Put winter away and got out spring and summer. In the process, I filled a couple garbage bags of clothing and shoes myself! Out with the old! Clean out some closet space for some spring shopping!
So, a cleaning day at home. The kids have been troopers through it all. At first, Ally happily tried on every article of clothing to determine if it fits or if she even likes it even. I didn't even flinch when she just said half the time "I just don't like it Mommy".... of course to many, many things she, herself picked out! But... oh well. Just taking up space and making a mess in my house... so it can go. I will try to look beyond the sheer amount of money I bagged up...... that's what having kids is all about I suppose.
She's a bit like me in that regard I guess..... that just hit me. I buy shit I don't like after a few weeks all the time. Guess I'm not one to talk here. ;-)
When the kids got restless and were doing more harm than good in Ally's room... I stuck them in the tub... and I swear to you, they were in there for at least a solid hour.. probably more! Luke is still sleeping and Ally is watching a movie I downloaded for her as a treat for being such a big helper.... and for not having a fit about everything we got rid of! I am pushing forward.... since I have the cleaning/organizing bug... I'm still going....
Talk to you when I come out from under all my piles...... it gets worse before it gets better during this process...........
1 comment:
Way to go!! Spring cleaning feels so good when it is done. Looking forward to all those hand me downs :)You worked today so we shall have fun tomorrow.
Post a Comment