Monday, March 1, 2010

Hospitals Smell Funny...

I have spent FAR too much time in hospitals/doctors offices lately.  It all began last Wednesday when my Grandma asked me to go to an appointment with her.  We share a doctor, and he was advising her to do something she was unsure of... so she just needed another pair of ears... a "second opinion."  And, who better to ask than her grandaughter with the Public Affairs Degree.  :-)))))  I'm completely qualified!!!!!!

She ended up having three extra pair of ears... and we scared the shit out of the doctor, but it was all for the best... we heard what he said... and talked my Grandma through her options and what we think she should do.  Beyond that, it was a great excuse for us girls to grab dinner at the Hunt Club.  :-)

Then, my Dad had surgery on his spine Thursday...... That one was brutal.  Okay, maybe MORE brutal for my Dad than me. But, it was a long day and in the end, I didn't even get to see him because surgery was so freakin' long and it took him some time to "come out" from being put under.  All day, we waited in a marginally nice family waiting room. The company was great... and I enjoyed chatting with my brother, Kellen and my step-momma, Geri.... Annie even came and brought me a latte cuz she rocks like that.

Back to the hospital to actually SEE my Dad yesterday..... Luke and I spent a good chunk of our day there..... Luke was a trooper, although very unsure about the nurses and doctors who kept coming in and out.  I'm pretty sure he was waiting for them to poke or prod him.  ;-)  My Dad is doing well, but having a hard time managing his pain. He just had MAJOR surgery though, so we need to keep that in perspective.  He was totally drugged on Percocet, Valium and muscle relaxers when I saw him.  If he wasn't in so much pain and so sad looking, it would have been funny........

But, I know he will power through and be as good as new in no time.  He is convinced he will be back at work by March 15. HA!  We shall see.........

Now, I am headed over to Foote to see my Great-Grandma, who was taken to the hospital last night by ambulance.  My Great-Grandma is 100 years old, and this is not shocking or unexpected, but none-the-less, difficult on my entire family... especially my Grandma who has cared for her for as long as I have been alive.  While that care didn't include much years and years ago... recently, my Grandma has been her life-line.... and as hard as that is for her day-in and day-out... it is what she does and she does it without complaint most days.  My Grandma deserves sainthood for certain.......

My "Baba Mary" as we call her is in end stage kidney failure... has numerous infections, including pneuomonia and they are concerned that she may have suffered a heart attack. When it rains, it apparently poors when it comes to being elderly.

No matter what the outcome here... she has led a FULL and LONG life.... may she feel no pain no matter which way we go in the coming days.......

Please keep all my Grandmas in your thoughts and prayers........

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Very nicely put, Nina....I love you.

Mom