I am like the damn energizer bunny... or my mind is rather. It is still racing. What's great is when Scott gets going along side of me... and he's totally there too. He's been sending me links to houses... he drove through a couple new developments on the way home yesterday. We are both in full thinking mode. Gathering data. Analayzing data. We're full on dorks like that. ;-)
I am still spinning in a merry-go-round of confusion though..... wondering where the best place to be is. What we want in a house is easy. We completely align on what we want. We love our current house. We have made it our own... as much as we can without completely busting the bank. I always believe there is a line in which you shouldn't cross when it comes to investing in a house you don't always plan to live in. There is a balancing act... of making it "yours" and what you are comfortable living in... and pouring money into it you will NEVER get out. I think we have both always kept this in mind when it comes to our current house. We wanted to completely redo the kitchen..... but instead we redid the floors.... painted... freshened it up in ways we could do more affordably... then spending 30 grand on new cupboard and granite. We would never get that money back.
We put in all new flooring a few years back... best decision ever. And, if we don't recoup all that money - which we won't - it was worth it to us to have the new flooring over the time that we did. We repainted every room. Replaced all the window coverings. New light fixtures. And, the biggest investment, was our complete finishing of the basement and putting in a little kitchen. Our basement rocks. It's that space that sold us the house in the first place. The potential for that space.... and I hope others will see that space and appreciate it in the long run too. Maybe. Someday. :-)
So........ I digress. What was I talking about? Oh. Yeah. Scott and I agree on what we want in a new house... and I guess the first thing is just that. It has to be a new(er) house. We are not fixer upper people. Cosmetics.... okay. We can handle that. We don't want an old home. A money pit. :-) I showed him one house that was pretty darn cool... and he said we would totally be Tom Hanks and that Shelly chick if we got that house. "Let's try Brad........"
So, no old homes. We are open to building new. We are open to buying an newer "used" home.
I need closet space. Lots of it. Walk ins all over that damn house! :-) I want to be able to live in my closet if need be!!!!!!
We want a nice master bath...... nice tub..... two sinks........
We want a complete open floor plan in the general living space.... eat in kitchen area and a separate formal dining. I do not want or need formal living...
We want a nice backyard...... a decent patio or deck because getting a hot tub is a MUST!!!!!!
That's it....... those are our dreams for a new house. We would really like it to be in a kid-friendly neighborhood..... with some young people around!!!! That would be a bonus.
Too much to ask for? Who the hell knows...... we shall search and find out.......
I will say... there is not a lot to chose from right now. Here's to hoping the spring brings more choices!!!!!
So, the house, we got down. But... do we choose to live in Western schools? Do we choose school district first..... I went through private schools in Jackson. That is also a viable option in our opinion. Maybe even preferred. Who knows.
I am just blabbing..... ;-) We are giving ourselves just under a year here.... if we can move and and be in a new home (or on our way if building) by the time Ally starts school next year... that would be ideal. But, we can always drive her somewhere if need-be for a bit too.
All the possibilities are exciting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Things will fall into place as they should over time. They always do...........
3 comments:
Wow...this is great for you guys...let me tell you, building is not easy...don't know if builders would give you concessions due to not having much work, or "sock it to you" for the same reason...and it never turns out just like you planned. Being able to "walk through" something is always better....but you will know if you find the right one! I can help! Also, Dave can get 25% commission if you will use a Keller Williams realtor!
Mom
Too bad you don't work near Kzoo...otherwise, I'd have the perfect neighborhood for you! ;-)
Good luck...I hope you enjoy house hunting as much as we did!!!!
House hunting . . . how exciting!! Good luck with your search!!
Post a Comment