Friday, January 29, 2010

The Buzz...

What's the buzz... tell me what's happenin!! :-)

So... I have news. Big news. News with a capital "N!" Nope... not preggers...

I have decided that I am going to go down to part-time! Yep... you heard me right... part-time! I will start working just 20 hours a week soon, and I gotta say, since Scott and I made the decision, I have felt nothing but GOOD about it.

There are many, many factors influencing my decision. First of all, things have changed at work. Things have changed a lot. And those changes have taken away some of the best part of my job. Those changes have made me, for the first time in my ten year career at Consumers... really DREADED going to work in the morning... and looking forward to my weekends. I have never, EVER felt that way.

I have always loved what I did. Believed in my work. Felt passionate about it. I was motivated by an amazing manager... and things were really great. I had a great deal of flexibility. I had autonomy and was treated like a professional. I felt good about what I did and it was worth it every day to struggle (sometimes) at home.

It's just not worth it anymore......

I get home at 6 or 6:30 most days... and scramble to make dinner. Do homework. Spend quality time with the kids. And that "for what" is changing.... and it's just not the same.

In addition, things are only getting crazier at home... as Ally grows and goes up grades... her demands are greater... more homework... desire to do after school activities... all those things increase as the kids get bigger! I want her to have the opportunities to do those things! I want her to take ballet and art and gymnastics and whatever she wants without it being a strain on us... or at least minimizing that strain!

So... my plan is to work four days a week, five hours a day. Monday through Thursday... 8 or 9 to 2:00 pm. I will get back home in time to pick up Ally every day... and she can just come home after school (or go to whatever activity we might have going on!) and we can do homework... start dinner (HOLY CRAP what a concept!)... and be home three hours earlier than I would have been.......

Appointments can be made easier cuz I won't have to "work" around them..... I can make them late afternoon. Or... on my entire day off... FRIDAY!!!!!! :-)

Fridays I will keep Luke home with me... and we will do things... we need some play dates girls! Calling all mom's free on Friday's who's kids would like to play with a 2 year old!!!!!! We have a great play room...... :-) Kids play and I need girl time....

I totally know I am looking at this through rose colored glasses right now... but I am excited. No... more importantly, I feel complete PEACE with this decision. It just FEELS right..... and I know in my heart it's what I am supposed to do right now.

I am thankful to my amazing, hard-working, smart as hell husband... who makes this possible for me to do for us... for our kids... for our family. I am thankful for his job, which gives me the freedom to do this. I don't "have" to work for the money.... we can make this happen. Sure, there are going to be "cutbacks".... I may have to curb some shopping habits (GULP!!)... but I think, in the long run... all the benefits more than outweigh those costs.

I am just SO EXCITED about this.... it's like embarking on a new frontier. This change is going to be good....... I just know it. Feel it.

I don't know exactly WHEN this is going to happen... there are details to work out here at the office... and Scott and I would like to take our vacation in March without monetary restrictions or concerns... we NEED that trip! :-) It's our lifeline in this craziness we live in right now. Our light at the end of the tunnel......

So... maybe mid-March... or the first of April at the latest. I have to officially "start" on the 1st or 15th of the month for pay-period purposes.

That's good stuff... just in time for Spring! Summer afternoons at the pool here I come!!!!!!

:-)

6 comments:

Urquhart Family said...

Congrats!!!! That is AWESOME! Can't wait to hear about this next phase in your life!

Leslie Collins said...

what a wonderful opportunity you have. :)i would love to do a playdate when you are off work.

Kathy said...

So the decision has been made....Good for you!!! AND the family.....the kids will love it!

Mom

CJR said...

I am so excited for you! How awesome. I have a lot of flexibility in my job now and I don't know how I would live without that. So much so, I will probably hault my career progression to keep it. Money is only Money after all. Again, so happy for you enjoy every minute!

Chrystal said...

Sounds like a DREAM situation! That is great that you can do it.

Russ and Karen Gaston said...

I'm so happy for you! You are so lucky, imagine all the great things you'll get to do with your little ones. Big decision, with great rewards. Enjoy every minute of it, I know I'd love the opportunity to do the same.

Where does Allie go to gymnastics? Avah goes to All Around. Love seeing my little girl jumping around in her leo doing "nastics" Too cute!