Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Focus on the Fun...

Oh so many changes... some good and some bad... more about that sometime later... for now, I am going to focus on the FUN!!!!!!

Scott and I booked our flights to Phoenix last night. This, after weeks of discussion on where we should go for a winter get away. First, we were going to go to Mexico. We know we love Mexico. We know we would have a great time... but we are trying to step out of our comfort zone... and we decided we wanted to do something different!

There are a zillion places we want to visit before we die... so we picked one and we are headed there! We are going to go to Scottsdale, Arizona... outside of Phoenix. It is supposed to be a really nice, resorty area. It has GREAT shopping, art galleries, restaurants, museums, spas.... the list goes on and on.... but most importantly, it will be WARM! So... we will leave on Saturday, March 6... and stay for seven glorious nights...

At first we were going to stay in a condo in the Kierland area... and we still might, but I'm not quite ready to "book it." I am exploring some other hotels right in "old town" Scottsdale... putting the options together and Scott and I are going to look in detail at everything this week and decide. We need to be able to walk around.... and cab or public transport it once in a while as a rental car is highway robbery it's so expensive. I would much rather spend $500 on food, clothes, wine, ANYTHING but a rental car!

It's going to be great timing for us.... Scott will have just finished this class that he is taking two nights a week in Grand Rapids. And, he will be coming out of his busiest time of the year. It's his reward... his light at the end of the tunnel.... and mine too as things are insane for me right now too. Not all in a bad way though!! Just kind crazy.......

So, we booked our flights....... last week the flights were $280 each... and this week, of course, we paid $100 more EACH. Ugh. I hate how you just never do know the perfect time to jump on something...... oh well. We got them now before they continue to go up!

Luke had his two year physical yesterday!!!! Our little man weighs just over 29 pounds and is 35 inches long. He is doing just fine..... we have to have a bunch of blood work done cuz he has to be tested for lead exposure? I do not recall doing this with Ally at all??? Yay! Nothing like taking the boy to get his blood drawn. Ugh. Seems like a great daddy/son bonding experience to me!

The doc asked if he was starting to string two words together. I must laugh at this cuz the boy speaks in full paragrahs!!! Two words? Full sentences. Full phrases. The boy can TALK!!!!! One of my favorite things that he does these days is he always says "okay...." You can usually talk him out of a meltdown when he starts to get his mind on wanting to do or have something he's not supposed to... by quickly offering up another fun option in a very upbeat tone and then saying "okay?" to him... he will usually think for a moment, then say... "okay..." back......

He also has this nervous laugh and will say "okay" nervously.... as in when the doctor is done and she tells him so... he starts to giggle and says "okay, all done??" in a very tentative nervous tone...... it's hard to explain and so adorable to me for some reason.

He's been fighting a cold for some time, but seems to be coming out of it. He didn't cough last night at all and woke up cheerful.

Ally, on the other hand, was complaining of back pain last night??? Which I just think is odd for a seven year old? So, I'm going to have to keep an eye on that....

We have invited 10 little girls to our house for her birthday party in a couple weeks. She's going to have an American Girl themed party. She has asked all her friends to bring an American Girl doll if they have one... or another doll if not. She has some games in mind she wants to play and she wants the girls to make their own special pizzas. Should be fun....... and I have a couple weeks to work through the details....... ;-)

I have to have a little surgical procedure this week..... not a big deal at all... but I get to stay home Friday and rest after...... and take it easy for the weekend. Sometimes, it's pretty hard to keep me still.. so we shall see how that goes. ;-) Thank god for my iPhone... laptop... and the TV/DVD player in my bedroom!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy Tuesday friends............. hope your week is treating you right so far........

4 comments:

Sadie said...

We are going to the Scottsdale area too. I also have heard great shopping! And just to make you feel better- we had a great price on tickets and waited one day too many to buy them, and ended up spending 100.00 more per ticket only we had to buy 4! Ouch. You guys will have a great time.

Russ and Karen Gaston said...

Odd...I don't remember having to do the lead testing thing with our kids either. Must be a new thing. Have a great time on your vacation. Warm weather is calling my name too...

Stephanie said...

Scottsdale is great! If you like hiking (maybe you don't though) there is a really nice hikeable mountain there. You can do it in about an hour or so and the views are awesome. I second the great shopping. Oh and Mexican food there is the best!

Urquhart Family said...

You will LOVE Scottsdale! We went a couple years ago...and fell in love. So beautiful...great shopping...awesome downtown area. Have fun!!!!