Monday, January 4, 2010

My Mind is Racing in This New Year...

My mind will not stop racing so far in this new year. There is just so much going on. So much to think about and consider lately, that I feel I might burst.

On one hand, I could let it overwhelm me... too many choices... too many decisions... but I feel almost giddy with the opportunities that are in front of me. Not really opportunities that have found me... but rather, maybe things that we are considering. Thinking about. You know what I mean.....

The past two weeks, over the various holidays, Scott and I stayed home with the kids. We saw lots of family and friends. We did lots with the kids and even had some time without them. It was a GREAT two week break from the everyday stresses of work. Not such a great break from the everyday stresses of home.

Luke was grumpy. It seems as if we entered and exited a good phase for him. We are back to the whines... the grumps. It kinda sucks. This week, my in-laws are out of town and we have a babysitter coming each day. I just hope after this many days in a row with out kids, she will want to come back! Ugh........

At any rate...... Scott and I having time together, allows us to talk and try to think about our future. Plan for what may come..... and we have been doing a lot of thinking lately. Add to that, some off the wall comments Ally has made... and our minds are just in full planning mode.

We have always figured we would move someday... we really love our house... and it works for now... but if we could just pick it up and move it to a more convenient location... that would be really great! :-) But... there is no great way to do that..... so we have been wondering about moving... and what that might mean... where that might be.

There are so many reasons we want to move. We would like some neighbors. Kids in the neighborhood We just like being closer to more "action." Concord is great... yes... but I am just not a country girl... and there's not a damn thing to do. :-) Sometimes this is nice. Sometimes this is a giant pain in the ass. For me... it's more of a giant pain in the ass. We both work in Jackson. Everything we need to do seems to be in Jackson. Ally's extra curriculars. Grocery shopping. Eating out.

We always thought we would make a move at some point... first it was going to be before Ally started school. We were going to try to get into the school district we wanted to ultimately be in, which we have always considered to be Western. Then, we didn't move... and Ally started at Concord... and it's absolutely great. She loves it... cannot complain... but I just can't help but want to make that move still. And, it's going to get harder and harder...... as she gets older. There are days when I think it's too hard already.

Then, out of the freakin' blue last week... Ally says to Scott "Daddy, I think I'd like to go to a different school next year... cuz going to Concord every year would just be boring......"

WHAT??? WHERE THE HELL DID THAT COME FROM????

We feel like it's out "get out of jail free card!" Like if we are going to make a move, we should take advantage of this moment... capitalize on it. Exploit it! :-) Remind Ally she said it.......

So, now we are busy thinking what should we do? Should we try to sell our house in this economy? Should we look around in Jackson? Other areas? Should we build? Buy old? Buy new?

And, then, there's my job.... I have a new boss, effective today... and that brings many changes.... I hope they are all good... but time will tell. I am trying to remain positive and optimistic, but I feel very disjointed and "off." Of course, times like that make us feel like maybe it's time to make a BIG move...... like to California. Hey, the weather is better. ;-)

There are so many considerations.... we are trying to think of what we want. What we NEED for our family. For us as individuals. As a couple. All those things... and do what we really NEED for us... not totally playing it safe, and considering money... what we know.... sometimes you gotta do what's best for you as a family and your sanity.... in order to get where you really need and want to be......

Someone wise and wonderful once shared the following:

"In order to get what you need... you need to to something you've never done..."

I'm an optimist. I always believe change is good... and I like this phase in the thought process. I always think things will be better after taking action. Even if in the short term, that action is a bit negative... I believe it's the right thing to do in the end. Even if it causes Ally a bit of pain to start fresh in a new school, it might be the best thing for her.

I don't know yet....... don't know where we're heading with our thoughts on this..... but it's certainly something to think about... and my mind is surely racing with all the thoughts!!!!!!!

I will keep you posted..... in the meantime.... if you know of a GREAT kick ass neighborhood in Jackson... let me know. What we want more than anything are some neighbors! Some kids for our kids to play with!!!!

2 comments:

Urquhart Family said...

Good for you!!!! :)

The Williams said...

I think you may be on to something. If Ally wants to move it may be the best time.

I do want to let you know we bought a house in Spring Arbor 2 years ago so our kids could go to Western. We were 1/4 mile from Bean and 1/2 mile from Warner and our kids HAD to go to Parma Elementary since the other two schools were full due to school of choice kids that were already enrolled. So if you have strong feelings about which Western school your kids would attend I would look into that. Especially if you move into a neighborhood and your kids dont go to the same school that the neighborhood kids do. That can be hard. Not trying to persuade you just thought I would share.
Good luck, you'll make the right decision(s).