Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Giving Up Facebook....

I gave up Facebook for Lent. I did this for MANY reasons.

1.  Ally asked me to.
2.  As a good friend of mine stated, "it's a huge time waster."
3.  I still question how good it is for you to know so much about what everyone is "doing."
4.  I find I get annoyed with it.
5.  I assume everyone knows everything they need to know about me/my kids and I don't make personal calls or visits. This is such bullshit. And my own damn fault!

An example of number 5....... someone came into my office recently and asked what was going on with me. My response... "I have pneumonia. I put it on Facebook??"

WTF????  There are so many things wrong with that statement I cannot even begin to say.  I need help. That's ridiculous.

I think Facebook is a good thing. I love being able to contact old school mates. I love seeing what long lost friends are doing. I like the social connection to those I wouldn't normally be able to connect with. Where the problem comes in for me is the CLOSE relationships that you end up relying on Facebook to stay in touch with. This is just silly.

I should not tell my best friends happy birthday via Facebook...... unless I am telling them in a zillion other ways.  Close friends.... family.... loved ones... I want to SEE them..... call them... be with them. Facebook has no place in the communication between good, good friends.

And it's not anyone's fault....... it's just become what we do! How we connect.  How we communicate. It's just become a societal norm.  But... I am such a people person, and I crave more from others.... that I feel like it can actually hurt me at times.... the idea of limited Facebook contact.

So, this is sure to be a good test.  I am going to monitor how I feel about others... myself....  life......... over these next 40 days.  Maybe I will never go back.  Maybe I won't use it as often.  Maybe the App will never go back on my phone. Who knows!?!

Live and learn. That's what I'm doing.  Time will tell.

In the meantime..... I continue to feel better. So much better.  Again, not ALL better... but I feel the tide continuing to turn. This is a good thing.

It's Wednesday.  My work Friday.  The rest of the week is full of Destination Imagination events as the big competition is Saturday. We have practice both tomorrow and Friday. Friday, the teams are performing their skits in front of the school in the afternoon.  A couple busy days before it concludes.......... and I have to say.... I must be honest..... I hope our girls do well, but not too well so we go on to the State Finals. I don't think I could handle another month of practice and preparation!  ;-)

Six nine year old girls trying to create together is no stress free task!

So, wish us luck this weekend!!!!!!!!! But not too much luck! ;-)

1 comment:

Alberta Ziepiela said...

Nika..soooo sorry for your pneumonia...saw Dziadzia and Uncle Ed with it, ofcourse they were in a worse state. I have been dealing with my back and hips and going to pain clinic...I went doubled up and in tears yesterday, got shots in my hips and lower back, almost human today. Which chiropactors are your friends, I've thought of having manipulation and massages but never know who to go to without them being some kind of "quack" went to Murkowski years ago..would NEVER go back. Love you and get better...yea no facebook, always felt like someone would be reading my diary..but as you say a "hey" to faraway friends to keep in touch is not like daily entries to say you took a "Poop" (he He)...Gramma Z. Hi Kit Kat know you will be reading this. Love you.a