Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Fat Tuesday and Turning the Corner...

Today is the first day I really woke up and felt that I was getting better.  YAY!!!!  I still am generating more mucus that should be allowable by law.... I am still coughing... and I am still pretty run down, but I can feel the tide turning within me.  This is a good, good thing.  :-)

The doc said FULL recover will take 2-3 weeks.  Just to feel back to the same level of energy. Full lung capacity. It's the lack of oxygen (you take in less) combined with the effects of the antibiotic that really get you down. I only have two more days of the antibiotic.... and I can't be rid of it soon enough. 

I know they make you better when you have certain illnesses and are sick.... but I just hate being on them.  They are a wicked cycle of illness... one kills certain bacteria, but makes you less resistant to others. They wipe out all the good bacteria in your system.... and just reek havoc on your body.

I mentioned earlier that I went to a chiropractor. We have some good chiropractor friends... and with this most recent illness... those good friends pretty much "forced" me to come in and be evaluated.  It has been something I have been wanting to do. I am fully intrigued with the idea of everything being connected....  a wellness/health approach..... and frankly, I am not a giant fan of constant "medical" intervention. I have a history of being medicated when completely unnecessary and I harbor some major resentment of the medical field. I constantly ask myself "what is the reason behind this illness, pain, or discomfort?"  I truly believe there is a reason for everything and jumping to medical intervention is not always necessary.

This led me to question the WHY behind Ally's constant ear infections when she was two. She lived an entire winter on antibiotics.... finally I demanded some allergy testing...... and sure enough, she had allergies to the two largest "mucus producer" allergens....  milk and eggs. We took her off ALL forms of milk and eggs. I was crazy anal about it..... not even allowing the ingredients in what she ate.... and you know what? The girl never had NOT ONE single solitary ear infection after that. 

There is a REASON for everything. There really is.

So....... there is just a reason I cannot fight off a common cold. That these colds turn to sinus infections. Bronchitis. Pneumonia.  Something is off within me.  I just know it.  Maybe I am run down. Maybe my immune system is overreacting.  Maybe it's weakened by something.  There are a zillion reasons why...... and I need to find out and make myself "whole" again.  My kids need me. My family needs me. I need me. 

So.......... I had x-rays and learned a lot about chiropractic care... and am embracing it.... I like the wellness aspect of it. It makes sense to me.  It doesn't to everyone.... but it does to me.  It speaks to me so I am going with it.

I embrace homeopathic medicine. I believe in the power of vitamins and minerals. I think that exercise,  yoga and time spent alone, reflecting are cornerstone to health. I think everyone should sleep solid for eight hours a night. I believe we should eat well. I think we should spend time doing things that really make us happy... socializing with friends. Dancing.  Going on dates.  It all supports a happy, healthy life... these little things.

I am off on a corny tangent. I don't care. Deal with it.  ;-)

So...... today I turn a corner. I just know health is soon to follow. Energy.  A vibrant life. I want too much out of this life than to be held back, held down by illness and fatigue! I have too much to do! And I want to do it all!  :-)

PS - giving facebook up for lent.... so you can follow me here (MOM!)  :-)

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Got it...DAUGHTER..

I love you and hope you are over this pneumonia stuff...I just had a little cold and hated it...and I don't have young kids to take care of!

Love seeing Ally's gymnastics routines. Thanks for sharing them!