Sunday, February 26, 2012

Destination ImagiNation...


I have been coaching a group of six girls for the Destination ImagiNation challenge and competition for over three months. It has been a challenge for all of us.  Only one girl on the team had done it before.  My co-coach, Monica and I had never done it before, nor had our daughters.  We all pretty much went in blind.

The girls had such a rough start.  They had a lot of drama.  They could not get it together to agree on much in the beginning.  While, they were quick to agree on their challenge, soon after, they had a hard time getting it together to agree on the script and story idea. The challenge they chose was to write and perform a movie trailer that depicted the cultures of two nations. They had to do this all on their own.  Monica and I could give them NO ideas at all.  We could guide them in the direction, but we could not help or persuade them. It was absolute hell sometimes trying to deal with all the drama that six girls can throw at you at one time.

Somehow, over the course of the months that we worked.... the girls pulled it together. We had a lot of road blocks thrown up in our way. Some things they wanted to do, we learned were illegal at the last minute... and there was no time to replace some of the elements. This cost them in the long run. But, the show must go on.... and it went.

Yesterday, we arrived at Western High School where the Regional Competition was taking place.  I am certain I was more wound up and nervous for the girls than they were themselves.  I kept them moving all day... didn't allow them (or me!) to sit and think too much.  The first part of their competition was their Instant Challenge.... where they are given a challenge to solve, in an instant!  I can't talk about the details of their challenge due to competition rules, but I will tell you this.... I was in the room and have never felt so nervous in my life.  I watched them and beamed with pride though. The rocked it.

We took them out of the facility to Slice of Spice for lunch, to get them away from all the stress and craziness.  They were still doing great.  They were getting a bit worked up for their Central Challenge, but still, hanging in.

It wasn't until we were truly checking in for their big moment that I saw the nerves kick in. I thought for sure Ally was going to turn and run.  Luckily, as coaches, we aren't allowed to be with them for the final moments before they go on. They are all on their own........ So Monica and I joined the friends, family and classmates who joined to watch them..... and both tried to not vomit on the floor just before they went on.

They did great. Amazing really.  They forgot a prop.... but totally recovered and went on without it.... not missing a beat. While their skit was not the best in the bunch.... I know in my heart that they had to work harder and overcome greater obstacles than some of the teams out there... so my pride in them was tenfold.  I was with them every step of the way. I know what they did. How much of their heart and soul they put into this.....

And that is what made the awards ceremony so hard.

Ugh.

The other Queens team, competing in their category, took first place.  Our team took sixth.  Sixth out of 18 teams in the category. They had so much to be proud of.... but they took it so hard.  So, so hard.

Ally cried and cried... and could not even congratulate her best friends who won first. They came up and tried to console her, but she was beyond help. The other girls got teary when they were united with their parents. I think because I was with Ally, it allowed her to be herself and break down. The others held it together until they were in the comfort of their mom's arms... and then, they lost it. Which, in turn, made me lose it. I had mom's consoling me by the night's end.

It is hard to participate in something for that long.... as often as we met and devoted our time to it.... and not suffer disappointment when you don't do as well as you feel you should.  Along the way, I truly never thought they were second to anyone... in how hard they worked and executed their challenge. But, I saw what went on behind the scenes.

I could not be more proud of them all... and as hard as it is for all of us..... what a learning experience.  My little girl puts so much pressure on herself.... this was quite the lesson in disappointment for her. Big time disappointment.  And you can say "it's not fair" and "it's not right" all you want... but the fact of the matter is... the other team was amazing. They rocked it. They deserved to win. They worked better and more easily together as a team from the start. They did not suffer the drama and tears that we did.  We started way behind the start line.... and they started at the start line.  They did and performed better. There's nothing else to it.

Just like life, you can't pick your team all the time... you gotta make it work with the tools you have at hand..... six little girls learned how to do just that over three months time.... and it didn't exactly work out like they wished it would.... but they had the experience of a lifetime. And I helped give that to them.

In my book... we won it all.  I am more proud than words can say. And proud to be their coach.

Two of my amazing team members, Ally and Gracie

1 comment:

Kathy said...

6 out of 18!!!!!! Wow...I am SO Impressed for their first time doing it!!!!! That is fantastic! Tell Ally how proud I am of her! (And you too, Mom!)