Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Crazy Thankful...

Today I am feeling crazy thankful.  I just left a parent-only therapy session with Ally's therapist.  We had such a great discussion.... and as I drove away.... and my hubby drove away.... each of us going back to work, I thought to myself how very lucky we are that EACH ONE OF US cares so much about our family, our daughter that we are willing to say "yes" to therapy and to work at our parenting and work at developing Ally's personality.

I am not ashamed to say I have been in therapy myself. Not ashamed to say Scott and I have been in therapy together. I wear it as a badge of honor. A badge that says "I care enough about me to work on me" or "I care enough about my marriage to work on my marriage"

I am also not stupid enough to say that I have all the answers........ and man..... I DO NOT HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS!!!!!!!

I am thankful for Dot's (Ally's therapist) help..... more thankful than words can say. She has spent time with my daugther. She knows and understands her.... her strengths and weaknesses.  I am not so proud to say that as a parent, sometimes we do NOT know our kids really. There are always things our children will not let us see. That happens at all ages. Dot can see into Ally... really hear her... and then give us tips on the best way to help teach her, parent her, discipline her, and train her to use the "muscles" that she lacks the ability to use.

We are learning so much. Last week we learned the term "executive function."  Google it.  It's an amazing read.  Today we learned about "mindful thinking."  Looking forward to learning more.  Dot is helping us to teach and practice with Ally, these skills that most adults do not have.  Hell... I know I lack half of the executive fuction abilties.

I am thankful that I am not married to a man who thinks this is all a bunch of horse shit... cuz  I know some dads/husbands would feel that way.  Hell, some moms probably would too. I am glad that through all the crazy struggles of our life... and we've had some doozies... Scott and I can still, after 16 years of being together through the better and the worse.... we come together on the parenting of our children.  Dot applauded our ability to parent together, when so many would be torn apart in the face of such a difficult child.

But.. we come together and we aren't afraid to work.  Because we so just KNOW that she will be better on the other side. We will be better on the other side. We have lived getting better on the other side.

I am so thankful that this crazy storm of us... and our kids... and our family... has created these people who, face a hell of a lot of challenges... don't have it easy... but face every day willing to work and make it better, no matter how bad the day before was.

I am thankful for exactly who and exactly where I am.  And not too many people can say that.  :-)

No comments: