Friday, May 27, 2011

Kiddio Update...

So.... this week has been a bit crazy. Scott had a training all week in Lansing... and even though it was FOR work... his actual "work" did not stop just because he was out, so he had to go into the office each night AFTER a full day in Lansing and work into the wee hours.  I feel bad for him.  He is completely worn out. Exhausted and brain dead.  But, also, it was a wicked week for me since he was gone most of last week two. Two straight weeks of single parenting it for the week... not so cool.

All I can say is that if you are a single parent... my god bless you... it's a rough time... and you have a special place reserved for you in heaven.....

Last week went well... and it's a good thing or I wouldn't have survived this week. Nothing major went wrong.... I have just lost patience... kids miss normal routine that included Daddy... and Ally had a pretty big fit... first in a long time. Luke is being even MORE needy than usual - who knew THAT was possible????

Scott is on his way home from Lansing now... and we are looking forward to the long weekend together... at least we have that ahead of us.

This week was tougher it seems... we had more appointments and the weather was worse than ever.  One of those appointments was the kids' annual physical... which was a huge stress in itself.  Luke is a disaster at the doctor, and Ally was concerned about some things, so she was a bit worked up too.  We had noticed something was growing in the same general area that she has had a wart (in her nose) the last two years.  We have had to have surgery twice to remove it. So, when we saw that... we (and she!) assumed the wart was on its way back... as was another surgery.  Add to that, this time, it was more outside and kids were starting to take notice... and you had one anxiety-filled little girl.

So.... we go to see the doc.  Our regular doc is off on leave, so we saw an amazing nurse practitioner, Colleen that I just loved to pieces.  She spent almost an hour with us.... which is awesome.  My kids definitely got the full service physical.  Luke is just screaming as soon as we go in.  It's difficult to weigh him cuz he's gripping hold of me... but we get it done.  He is weighing 32 pounds these days. Below the 25th percentile. Just below.  No cause for concern at this point, but he was consistently closer to the 50th up to this point.  His height is in the 50th still... and the doc said he is perfect.  That's she rather have him a bit underweight than over... even at this point in life.

Then, Ally jumped on... 56 pounds.... and she's grown 3 inches in a  year!!!!!  50th percentile for height for her... and she is right around the 25th for weight.  At least my kids are consisten... average height and skinny.  Doc told her she was "perfect" too... and we talked about food for a bit. Ally is a great, extremely healthy eater.... she just has a super high metabolism.

Ally underwent the exam first... and the doc told her immediately that her "wart" was not a wart at all... but a skin tag.  She then went on to explain to her that she could pull it off herself... told her to hold ice to it someday when she was up for it... and just yank it off like you would a loose tooth. This all made Ally nervous... so Colleen was quick to say "not today.... you will know the day you are ready."  The exam went on without incident.  All good.  Eyes, ears, joints, reflexes.... all good in the hood.

Luke watched in terror as Ally went through all this.... he knew he was next.... but he got to sit on my lap and his physical exam was much less invasive.  He wasn't happy, but he did it.... and he didn't scream.  A tear or two was shed... but he made it through.  Unfortunately, for him... that was not the end.  Luke had to have a booster shot and a poke for his hemoglobin test.  That was a disaster.  He said his leg hurt for two days.  He might not be the toughest cookie on the  block....  :-))))))

That night.... Ally decided to be brave... she iced her skin tag... and after many failed attempts... she pulled that sucker off!  :-)  She is so relieved... as am I.  No worries of teasing... no concerns over surgery... good, good stuff.....

In other Ally news.... she is letting me leave her hair curly.... since it's warmer and humid these days... I really pretty much just told her this was how it's gonna be.  Impossible for me to get it straight in this weather!!!!  She had an apt at Divinity this week, and her stylist, Michelle was wearing her hair curly (it's usually straight) so Ally was super excited.  We got a new style... new products... and a decision to let out bangs grow out!!!  A good summer task.....  Ally is really excited cuz she has to wear a barret every day to hold her bangs over... and she informs me that she has "always hated having bangs..."  :-)

Who knew?  ;-)

The end of the school year is only two weeks away!!  Where did it go?  How did my girl already complete the second grade!!?? I am so crazy proud of her this year.  It's been rough in a lot of ways.. but she has faced it head on, and we have faced a lot of other shit head on together this year too... and she is growing, emotionally, in leaps and bounds.  Setbacks will always be inevitable... but she is really, over all, turning a corner.... or maybe we are all just learning?  ;-)

We have our summer schedule all figured out.  I will be working the same hours as I was the school  year.... with some tweaks! Monday, both the kids will go to my in-laws, and I will work a longer day.... maybe til 4 or so... because on Tuesdays I need to pick Ally up from gymnastics by 2.  Ally will spend her morning each Tuesday with her friend Kennedy as Kennedy's mom has graciously offered to keep her and get the girls to gymnastics at noon.  Then, Wednesdays, Ally will spend at Day Camp a the Country Club cuz she will have Golf those days... I just have to pick her up by 4.

Thursdays she still has gymnastics, but I can get her there... and then, I am thinking most Thursdays will be our afternoon at the pool after... and maybe all day Friday too, depending on what's going on!  And there you have our weekly summer schedule.  For the most part. With some changes here and there.

I am ready for summer to be here already.... I am over the worst spring on record.  Just bring on the heat already.... I won't complain about 90... I won't say once I'm too hot. I swear it!!!  Just stop with the rain!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully, we will have some sun this weekend... we are going out to dinner tonight... have a wedding  tomorrow, and hopefully can spend some time with Scott's brother who is in town visiting, Sunday.. maybe the boys can golf or something... the pool opens this weekend, but I doubt there will be enough heat to swim.... maybe for the kids, but definitely not for mommy.  ;-)

Enjoy your weekends... whatever you are doing..... !!!!!!

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Wow...proud of: Ally for taking care of that skin tag, Luke for making through the doc appt, and Mom for just being Mom!

I think most of the schools close here next week.

I am having my surgery on June 7. Should be in the hospital for the week and then recuperating at home. Wish me luck!
Mom