Monday, August 30, 2010

First Day...

Today was Ally's first day of the Second Grade!  Wow..... yesterday was one long day.  Ally was crazy excited for today to just hurry up and get here. She and I spent the day getting organized, getting her name on all her supplies, getting her bag put together, laying her clothes out... and making her favorite meal for dinner!  It was a long day.... half of which she spent wearing her backpack.  ;-)

Then... came bedtime.... the kids go to bed here around 8:00 pm.  I knew Ally would have a hard time falling asleep..... I was not prepared for her still being wide awake at 1:00 am!  UGH!!!!  The 6:00 am alarm sure came early!!!!!!

When I went in to wake her a bit before 7:00, she jumped right out of bed!  Happily put on the outfit we had laid out for her... and happily brushed her teeth and allowed me to do her hair!  What she couldn't do... was eat breakfast.  It appears Ally gets a bit of a nervous/excited stomach. So, we didn't force the issue.

We took some pictures outside.....



We jumped in our car... and made the drive to school!!!  Things we going so well.... then, we pulled up to park.... and the first day jitters started in. The tears came next.  :(  I was worried....

As soon as we got out, we ran into a familiar face, and then, the rest of the girls that Ally had met with prior to starting school started to show up.... things started to look up!


But.... the bell rang and it was time to line up... and all of this was so new and different to Ally that she started to lose her confidence.  I helped her the best I could. Stayed with her.  Walked with her as far as I could, but then I tried to let her walk in with her class alone..... it didn't go so well... she came running back out.  :-(

At this point, I am not doing so well. My heart is breaking for her and I am just trying to help her make this transition.  I take her into her classroom, and there are other parents there, doing the same thing.  Not everyone is making the transition so easily.  Ally is not alone in her trepidation.

We go to her seat and she is trying to be strong.  I am so proud of her for how she handled this.  While there were friendly faces, it was still a whole new place... and the newness of it all is very overwhelming for a seven year old.  I know this. I know it's even harder for someone like Ally.  I take a deep breath and walk out of the room.... leaving her behind....

Thank GOD for kind mothers in the hall. Thank GOD for the moms who watched Ally after I left and reported back that she was just fine... and smiling.... and reassured me that, while it will take a bit of time, this transition..... she will get through and will be flying high soon enough.

The decisions that we make for our kids..... schools, changes, trying to do what's best.... this is the hardest part right?  ;-)  I find myself so engrossed in the "trying to do the best thing" and I find myself second guessing myself all the time.  I want to make her life so perfect.  I want her to experience no hardship... no pain... damn this parenting is hard people!  :-))))))))

I went over to Jane's after dropping her off... and we talked and drank coffee... and the "big" kids played and she got a shower in before noon.  :-)  We all (two moms and four kids) walked to pick Ally up...... and I will say this:  A much happier, smiling Ally emerged from that school.  Not the Ally I know and love.... not 100%. But close. And I will take close for a first day. 

She walked out, excited to give me notes from the teacher... and tell me about a girl who reached out to her that she totally connected with. They had the  EXACT same book in their "All About Me" bag. They both love gymnastics. They both love silly bands and Camp Rock... and the the list goes on and on. But, more than anything else... this girl truly reached out to Ally and was empathetic that she was new and afraid. She told her she would stand with her in line in the morning.  She chose her to be her "buddy" so she could show her around the school.  She was just genuinely KIND and Ally hasn't stopped talking about her yet.

There are good-hearted girls of all ages out there... they come in the form of moms who support other moms in times of need... and little girls who can sense when another needs a smile and a hand.  I love these girls.......... and thank them all.........

It was a good first day.... it will be a better second day... I love you Allison...... and I am SO PROUD of you!!!!!

4 comments:

Urquhart Family said...

Just looking at these pics of Queen's in the background makes me smile! Ally will adjust and do GREAT...you've made a great decision as parents!! Kim came into the 5th grade as a new girl at Queen's...totally scared...and to this day we continue to be the best of friends. Ally will have that too! :)

Kathy said...

Oh how hard it is to be parents...even at this age and so far away. I remember a little girl looking up at me and saying "Why are they being MEAN to me?"...It breaks a mom's heart, but you know she will get through.

Thank you to the angel of a girl who helped Ally....it should be fine...and she is such a smart little girl that she will stand out in class and shine!

Geralyn Macklin said...

Oh Nicki, you have me all teared up! Love those girls....the tall ones and the short ones! Ally will be ok. Love that little angel who helped her out. So good that she knew Ally needed a friend. Tomorrow will be easier. You are a good momma. :)

Nicole said...

totally teared up! so proud of ally on her first day! <3 way to go!