Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Devastated........

It's only Tuesday and I have already had the worst week.  Many things have made it bad... but this morning's events take the cake.

This morning, after arriving at work, I look down and notice that the diamond in my engagement ring is gone.  It has fallen out of the setting.  It is gone. Gone.  Gone.  GONE.

I almost throw up immediately.  I start to hyperventilate.  Then, within seconds, I pull my shit together and start to THINK. Think McIntosh.  THINK.

I empty my purse and go through it inch by inch.  I get a huge bright light and start scouring the floor in my office... the desk..... one of my coworkers comes in and sees me in tears. I tell her the story. She is off and running..... looking too.  I look in my office for a bit. Try to stop crying... and head to the car. When I get outside, I see some of my coworkers walking all around the parking lot, heads down, searching. This of course makes me cry harder..... I love them.

I get to the car and holy crap my car is a mess. I am just waiting, waiting, waiting to find it sitting inside a cheerio.......

No. Such.  Luck.

I call my in-laws and inform them of the news. They start the search at their house.... they go to my house...... things are not looking good.  :-(

Every morning, I take my ring off when I get ready. I don't like getting lotion and such in it...... so, the last thing I do before I leave the house, is put that ring on.  I know the stone was in the ring when I put it on.  As soon as I put it on, I only went two places..... walked through my room, stopping to grab Luke's shoes off the floor...... made Luke some warm milk and grabbed him, put him in the car and left.

We went to my in-laws.... I chatted for a moment...... and left.......

Came to work and within minutes of being here, noticed it was gone.

It's still gone.  People are coming up to me, offering their condolences.  Women who understand.  Men who just feel bad.  Everyone is still walking around with their head down.........

I went home mid-day and looked for a couple hours....... I could not find it either........

I have had that ring, that stone for 13 years.  Scott and I picked it out together. The stone. We chose it loose and then had it set.  I am so sad. I know it's just a "thing" and something like this reminds me that I should be thankful for every"thing" that I do have (health and all that crap).... but for now, I am going to mourn the loss of the diamond that Scott and I bought together......

6 comments:

Nicole said...

oh my gosh nicki i am SO sorry. maybe it will turn up! KEEP looking!!!!! sending love your way!

Kristin said...

I am SO sorry to hear about your ring! I hope that it turns up!

Kathy said...

Oh Nina...I AM SO SORRY.....you must be sick....

Lots of love is being sent your way...

Mom

Kathy said...

PS...

Ring should be covered by homeowners insurance...

Urquhart Family said...

So so so sorry to hear, Nicki. Engagement stones are so sentimental...I would be in tears too. I hope it's found...and if it's not, I hope you & Scott have as much fun picking out another stone. Lots of prayers for you to find it!!

Leslie Collins said...

i hope you find it! i am so sorry and would be devistated as well. sending good vibes your way, girly. hang in there!