Sunday, August 22, 2010

The Final Countdown....

Wow!  One week from tomorrow Ally starts SCHOOL!!!!  Where did the summer go? I cannot believe it. I cannot believe she is going back.  She cannot WAIT! (which is of course, a really, really good thing!)

I haven't blogged about school because we took just about the entire summer to decide where to send Ally to school this fall.  We know we will be moving out of Concord eventually and I knew she would have to change schools.... and I just couldn't wait any longer to make that change for her.  Ally is a super sensitive girl.... and changing schools in the second grade versus changing in the fifth is a world different!  So, after MUCH thought and decisions and decisions changed again and again.... we decided that Ally will be attending Queens in the fall.

I went to meet the principal some time ago... and take a tour of the school.... and maybe because I, myself went to Catholic school, it just felt like "home" to me.  Add to that the fact that my amazing cousin just got a teaching position there (who has babysat my kids since birth) and the fact that I kept stumbling upon moms that had daughters in her grade.... I just knew it was the right decision.  The week we made the decision and I made that first payment.... I felt overwhelming peace with the decision.

Then, one after another, we met with mom and girls that will be in Ally's class and everyone has made her feel so very welcome and she has been getting more and more excited for the first day of school!  I have met some amazing women/moms in the process... and I am looking forward to school just as much as Ally is!

In fact, with my part-time schedule.... I am able to be one of the room moms for Ally's class and I could not be more excited!  I ran into a girl I went to school with one day... who not only has a girl in Ally's class.... but was in need of a Second Grade Room Mom.  :-)  I am really excited to be a bigger part of Ally's school year and she is pretty thrilled to have me around.  Let's hope that feeling remains for as long as possible...... when is it that she will be asking me to drop her off around the corner so her friends don't see me?  ;-)

Today, we attended the Open House at Queens and met her new teacher, Mrs. Engemann.  The two teachers at Queens are brand new and came from Our Lady of Fatima that just closed last year. They have a theme all laid out for the school year.  Second Grade Safari!  Ally's class are the Engemann Explorers and the entire classroom is decorated to the hilt!  The best part is that Mrs. Engemann is a bit reading obsessed and has a zillion books all set up in a super cozy reading corner with big comfy chairs and pillows....  Ally thought that was cool.... especially because she had two huge baskets of Magic Treehouse books and one of American Girl.  She has won Ally over already.....  ;-)

And... she is going to keep a blog for the year!!!

Ally received a homework assignment today - to decorate and fill a bag with things and words and pictures that will tell her new classmates and teacher "all about Ally."  She has been obsessively working on this project since we got home today.  She is one excited little girl.

I am still nervous about the transition.... but feel I have done everything in my power to this point to help her with the transition. The rest is going to be up to her.... and I will just continue to hope and pray for the best!

The best part about Catholic School????


Why the uniforms of course!!!  Here's to mornings that are free of SKINNY JEAN drama!!!!!  Two choices girl........ this here plaid skirt.... or these navy pants.... and take your pick of white shirt... you have 30.  :-)))))))))))))

Wish us luck!

4 comments:

Urquhart Family said...

Congrats, Nicki! I hope Ally has a ball at Queen's. It holds a very special place in my heart! :)

Unknown said...

I LOVE the look....as my Dziadzia (Bab Mary's husband)said to me once...

"Now you look like a REAL school girl!"

Best wishes Ally...I hope you always love school!

Grandma Kathy

LeeAnn | {froggyleggs} said...

Sounds like things are all fitting in! I'm sure u will especially be happy about those morning!! :)

CJR said...

Good luck! I hope everything goes well!