Thursday, February 14, 2013

Which End is Up?

What day is it again?  What a week.  Seriously.  Scott and Ally stayed home yesterday while Luke went to school and I went to work for the morning.  Ally was a mess.  Looked a mess and had a fever for three days.  A trip to the doc was in order.  I went home and got her.... ran to pick Luke up early to take him with me as her appointment was cutting it to close for me to get him after... and we got to the doc.

Hadn't been there since June of 2012 for their physicals.  We checked in and the nurse said to me "I jinxed you because I just asked someone if you had left our practice we hadn't seen you in so long." HA!  Nope... just usually have some healthy kids.  She looked up their histories.... prior to the June visit, we hadn't been there since January 2012 which was the last time Ally had strep.  Once in October of 2011 for her - strep again and their physicals the spring of 2011.  Luke went in once in early 2012 for a virus I had checked out.

No offense, I am happy to not see my pediatrician on a regular basis! But this time... we have been hit and hit hard.  They ran a strep test on Ally, which was negative. I was glad we didn't have to walk the antibiotic path. I had stepped up her acidophilus just in case though.  Next came the flu test.... positive for influenza B. Good times.  I guess B is more rare and mild than A which is good for her, but bad for us as Scott, Luke and I had A in November, which means... you guessed it... we can get this strain!!  Woo hoo!  ;-)

We won't though. Come on.  The flu we had in November was bad enough.  And then, our little tango with the Noro Virus last week. Not cool virus gods... not cool.

So.... with a diagnosis of Influenza B... Ally gets a solid week off school and we have quarantined ourselves for the week.

Add that to last weeks quarantine from the pukes and you get two kids and one mom who are losing their effing minds.  No joke.

Scott and I are trading off and on so I can work my hours and he stays home.... and he has been home sick (Noro got him early this week) too so it's worked out that I haven't had to miss anymore work than I had to last week.  But I am missing the days the office is closed and I am supposed to be going in to do the things I can't do when we see patients. Going on two weeks of a lack of that.... crap is piling up and I am feeling the weight of that on me.  Makes me feel just a little overwhelmed.

This has been the worst year for flu in a super long time the doc was telling me.  Each day they see 5 or 6 cases of the flu.  Awful.  These poor kids.  At least we are blessed with healthy kids that can fight this stuff off and it doesn't turn into secondary infections.  Ally woke up this morning and seemingly has turned the corner.  The last two days were really bad... and today she actually is bored and wants to do something. My girl is coming back. The hardest part is that she can't do anything for two more days. Prayers we all don't lose our minds!!!!!

So, since today is turning point day.... today will be another loving cleaning/organizing day... more ridding this house of virus.... and more cleaning out. My quarantine with Noro took twelve bags out of here.... I love cleaning OUT!  :-)

I am looking at the silver lining in all of this as I always try to do.  Better this week than any other.  Next weekend, Ally has another meet up in Holland and she is sure to want to be healthy enough to participate in that.  With the worst behind her, we can now focus on regaining strength and getting her energy back.  We only had plans for tomorrow night this weekend, so hopefully we can still go out as the kids were staying home with a sitter anyway. There should be no more contagious element around once I clean and they are past their contagious stage..... so Scott and I definitely deserve the evening OUT!  Gotta break out of this place!  Fingers crossed that can happen!

Here's to health!  We all deserve it!

No comments: