Sunday, February 24, 2013

Tulip City Invitational....

Friday evening, we traveled up to Holland for Ally's next gymnastics meet - the Tulip City Invitational!  The majority of her team and their families went up Friday night and we all stayed together at the host hotel, as the girls' check in was at 8:00 am Saturday morning.

Upon arrival, there were some girls already in the pool... so of course, Ally and Luke headed straight there.  The parents sat and had some drinks and watched the kids swim for a bit.... then decided we had better feed everyone.  We headed right across the street to BW3s and at there. We didn't even have to get in our cars as we just walked right over.  We had dinner with some of the families... then headed back where the rest of the gang was swimming.

We probably let the girls stay up too late.... but it was so much fun for them to have that time together. Silliness in the pool.  Luke is always included in the fun. He is one lucky boy to have all those girls taking care of him.  






I love these girls.  They are so silly, fun and supportive of one another.  I love to watch them interact and watch their friendship grow as it has.  I feel very blessed to be a part of their lives and their families' lives!

Competition day came early - the 6:00 am wake up call came a little sooner than expected but everyone was excited for the meet!  It was awesome to have all our girls compete together from level Diamond down to Gold.... the older girls with the younger girls.  Ally did great!  She didn't medal, and of course, she was disappointed... but you can't medal every time and it was a wonderful life lesson for her!  She still stood by and clapped as her besties got medals and cheered her team on... because in the end, that's what it's all about. That.... and trying better next time!  I am always proud of my angel girl no matter how she does.  Medals are fun and exciting..... but the fact that she goes out there and does what she does, amazing me to the core every time!  What an experience to be a part of.

After the meet and the awards ceremony.... Ally walked over to me every so slightly defeated and cried for just a moment. Disappointed for certain.  One of the older girls (who medaled in every event, took first all-around and is one of Ally's besties' oldest sister) came over and talked to her.  She told her how proud she was of her. How she watches her in the gym every week and she knows how hard she works.  How wonderful a gymnast she is.  Then, she went on to tell us how she competed for years without every getting a medal... but she never, ever quit. And here she is now... all-around champ for her level at almost every meet.  She is amazing to watch and a genuinely amazing girl. Amazing girl. Gracious and not boastful.  Upon receiving her all around-medal, the first thing she does is lean toward the girl who earned second and third and tells them what a great job they did.  I love that Ally has this girl as a role model in her life.  I hope she grows up to be just like Mary Grace... and that she never takes anything she earns for granted. That she always shows the same gratitude and gives the same praise to others.

That was my favorite part of our day.

I can tell her over and over how proud I am.... but when a fellow gymnast you look up to says it with all the sincerity in the world.... it means a lot more to a ten year old girl.

Later.... as we were watching the really young girls in her gym compete - Ally says to me "Mommy, I DID do really good for me."  Yes... yes you did baby girl. You did GREAT for you.  You did GREAT period.  I hope you know that you are the most amazing girl I know and love!  :-)






Ally's routines from that day can be seen here:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjwNjIRa6x8