Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Kids' Collections....

Anyone who really knows me, knows I don't like to keep stuff around my house for long. I despise the build up of clutter. I detest a houseful of random crap we don't really need or use.  I hate feeling overwhelmed in my own home. Some people are really good at taking those things, and putting them away in a neat, organized fashion, and saving them for when they might need them again.

Not me.

I want stuff out.  Kids outgrew clothes... I want them gone.  My friend Kristen knows this well.... take it now, or it might not be around to take!  ;-)  If I don't wear something anymore... it finds a new home with a friend or Goodwill..... it's just how I roll..........

So, as I was cleaning the other day... I found a Zhu-Zhu pet!  And then... I found a Silly Band..... and it got me thinking about the many things my kids collect in  phases. How much they love these things and need more of them, when they are popular and fun... and how quickly they get thrown by the wayside when they are done with them!!!!!!!

I started making a mental list of all the types of things we have loved and let go in the McIntosh household:
  • Zhu Zhu Pets
  • Silly Bandz
  • Barbies
  • Cabbage Patch Dolls
  • American Girl Dolls (Ally will still kind  of play... but I fear these VERY expensive dolls and their more expensive accessories are going the way of the dinosaur in our house!)
  • Junie B Jones Books (Ally is so over the series)
  • Nintendo DS and Games
  • Stickers
  • Scrapbook supplies (this was recent, maybe Ally will get back into it, but right now, there it all sits!)
I'm sure there are more... but those are the things that come to mind...  and I envision a future of many, many more loved and obessessed over items.. that we will "have to have" and then discard all too quickly.......

I could go two ways with this..... I could look at the waste and feel frustration... or I could let it go... cuz I think I am built the same way.  I was probably like this as a kid.  I am like this now. I just collect different things.  Jeans. Shoes.  Purses. And I am done with them... and I get rid of them... and I move on.  I don't get too attached to too many things.... there are very few items that hold true sentimental value for me... and those things I will never let go... but most things are just things... and I am fine saying goodbye.....

So, I let it go... and as I place the beloved Zhu Zhu into the bag for Goodwill... I smile and recall the joy that it once brought to Ally's face... and that is enough.... I don't need to hang on to the annoying little rat.  ;-))))

5 comments:

Russ and Karen Gaston said...

I feel the exact same way! Too funny. Let it go and breathe easier. :)

Leslie Collins said...

I do not like clutter and do not feel the need for the girls to have tons of crap that they do not play with either! It feels overwelming to walk in somewhere and have tons of toys everywhere.

kwimsatt said...

Well, it is good to be on the receiving end. :) It is hard for me to let go of something I may need again. I go through phases, I am no hoarder, but it is harder for me.

Kathy said...

Trying to think of your collections as a kid...Cabbage Patch, Barbie, Stickers, Unicorns, Puff the Magic Dragon (and other stuffed animals)...before it became clothes...from Maurices, Gap, and anyplace I couldn't afford!
I'm thinking maybe savings bonds for the kids from now on, but then again, with the shape of the Country, not sure those are too stable either!

Urquhart Family said...

I'm with you on this one, Nicki! I can't stand clutter...or the overwhelming feeling of having too many toys. I can only think of one thing that the boys have played with longer than 30 days...cars.

Goodwill loves us...and we love them!! :)