Thursday, April 21, 2011

Laundry Queen...

So, Ally needed to earn $2 yesterday to add to the $8 she already had, so that she could buy a special yo-yo at school. Based on the events of late... and my new outlook, there was no way I was going to hand over the $2.... so Ally learned how to do laundry, fold it and put it away yesterday... and she did it happily....

I realize that I ask very little of Ally. We don't have formal "chores" for her. We have learned to keep our expectations low because she is so high maintenance!  No more. We have GOT to change this! So, we are looking into some Chore Charts. Some Responsibility Agreements and some general ways in which we can empower her to do what, frankly she should be doing already - on her own!!!!

Ally made a lot of good choices yesterday. She was very much in control of herself and the night was peaceful as a result.  At one point, she and I were sitting in a chair, reading together and I said... "Ally I have had a wonderful night with you and I am glad we are all working so hard on having a peaceful, happy household."  She just smiled, nodded and hugged me... and I saw some tears in her eyes...

She's hurting too... and we are gonna get better.  One load of laundry at a time.  :-)

3 comments:

Russ and Karen Gaston said...

Baby steps! So glad to hear things are looking up. Hang in there, motherhood is by no means easy, but its these moments that make it totally and completely worth it.

Geralyn Macklin said...

Go Nicki! xxoo Thinking of you and your baby girl.

Sadie said...

I have tried many chore charts, and the one that has worked best for our family is marble jars. I made a list of the chores in our house, and then assigned amounts of marbles based on the chore. When the chore is completed, you fill your jar with the assigned amount of marbles. When your jar gets full, then we have a fun day- zoo, Chelsea Treehouse, or whatever the kids choose. Good luck!