Tuesday, September 14, 2010

What's Up?

Besides Ally's new school... which has seemed to dominate my posting lately... we do have a lot of "other stuff" going on!!!!  I think that school-age children are the most time consuming of all. Watch out moms of toddlers and preschoolers.... you ain't seen NUTHIN yet!!!!!!

With elementary school comes... meetings, opportunities to volunteer, class parties, after school girl (or boy) scouts, sports, going to friends' houses, having friends over, sleep overs, special camps... and the list goes on and on.  This is not even touching the HOMEWORK and fundraising ventures...... whew. Seriously.  I thank the lord each day that I have chosen to go part-time.  We would not survive AT ALL if I were still working until 5 or 6 each day!  God bless those of you that do it.  But, more than anything, it allows me to be a bigger part of Ally's life (in particular).  I feel that she and I have gotten worlds closer since I am home with her each day after school.

Parenting the school age child is a whole new ball game..... add to that, the fact that we still have one who is not in school.... and things get interesting!  But, for the most part... in a good way!  I like having Luke around two days a week to do the mundane with. He is so much fun to run errands with..... hang out at the house with....... or take on playdates!  I love taking him to pick Ally up at the end of the day and seeing how giddy he gets when he sees her come out of the school. He is so proud of his big sister... and she is equally as giddy to show him off!

Luke has been such a big boy lately!  The past three or four nights he has chosen to sleep in his big boy bed!  Of course, just to prove he cannot be consistent, he asked to go back to his crib last night... out of the blue!  WTH???  Oh well. We have both set up now.... and if Scott has his way, we will leave it that way "until he is five!" HAHA!  No... not so much.... but Scott is not eager to disassemble the crib AGAIN.  :-)

Now that he is sleeping in a real bed (most nights), it's time to think about potty training!  Luke is not potty trained yet for no other reason than we are lazy.  Well, I am lazy.  And, I need to commit to staying home for a week or so..... and I don't do that so well.  ;) We always have something coming up that I think we need to "get past" before I can take the plunge.

This coming weekend, Scott and I are going (alone without the kids!) to Chicago for the Dave Matthews/Jason Mraz concert and to see lots of friends. So, Luke will be with my in-laws for the weekend and we won't be home to work with him.  Next weekend, we will be staying in hotel for a wedding. Not the best timing there to be potty training! 

The week and weekend after that.... might be a possibility.... but I have a number of committments, so this means that it would fall on Scott to take the lead.  Is this possible?  Hmmm... I wonder..... :-)))))))  Maybe that should be my goal. Oct 1st....... no more diapers.

The money I will save alone should be incentive enough!

So...... big boy beds...... potential potty training.... new schools..... in short, the kids are dominating the field these days.  :-) What else is new?  But... looking forward to a wonderful adult get away this weekend!

2 comments:

Urquhart Family said...

We are very lazy in the potty training dept too! I honestly think that Ty would be potty trained if we committed to it. I need to set a goal too! So happy that Ally loves Queen's. I can't wait to volunteer...now that I'm not traveling as much!! :) Have a BLAST in Chicago...without the kids!!!!

Russ and Karen Gaston said...

Bennett's been acting so big lately too. No potty training or big kid beds yet, but by expressing himself and his speech. It makes me kind of sad.

Good luck on the potty training - I'm thinking that will be Russ' job since he's more of an expert when it comes to standing vs sitting, etc. LOL!