Friday, February 6, 2009

Update Time!

No pictures... sorry! I am going to work hard to get the pictures that Jane took of Ally's Hannah Montana party and get them posted with a little update on her birthday... but for now, let me try to think of what's been going on around here!

Whew! Feels like a year since I've posted anything! At the same time, it doesn't really seem like I have any earth-shattering news to share! Today, my mom left Las Vegas with my step-dad, Dave and they are making a 6 day trek to Alaska!!!!! Dave starts a new job there the week after next, and is going to be living in a temporary rental for a couple months. My mom is making the drive with him, and will then go back to Vegas at the end of the month to get things in order back at their house down there and get ready for a permanent move! WOW! It STILL blows my mind that I am going to have a mom that lives in Alaska....

My brother Mapquested what the drive would be from where he lives in Maryland. He lives in Frederick, Maryland, and the drive from there - if you drove NON-STOP would be 3 days and one hour.... he informed me that as close as he comes to where I am is Chicago, so I just have to get myself to Chicago so he can pick me up. YEAH RIGHT! I don't drive long distances! I'm a get there by plane kinda girl! Directly related to my level of patience... which is non-existent!

So.... I wish my mom and Dave luck in their travels and happiness in Alaska!

My mom will still be living in Vegas until early May she thinks... so we are going to try to get down there while she's still there. We are thinking of taking Ally for her Spring Break week. Just Ally. Leaving Luke here with my in-laws (if they'll have him!) and spending a week down in Vegas with my mom. Disneyland isn't too far from where she lives... and also, maybe Scott and I could take a couple nights and stay down on the strip with NO KIDS! Novel idea, huh? ;-)

So... speaking of the kids... what is new with them????

Ally turned six on January 25th! We had a Hannah Montana themed party for her the Saturday before her birthday... and all her favorite people were there! Our friends from Chicago made the journey and Ally was just so happy to to have Isabel there. Ally got a Disney Sing-a-Long game from us for our Wii and the kids all had a great time singing along to it. Even more though... they all watched Mamma Mia a few times and sang and danced to that entire movie! Kids LOVE Mamma Mia!!!! And it is absolutely hilarious to watch them!

Ally continues to love school and just recieved her first "report card." She recieved very high marks in reading and writing.... she is reading at a late 1st grade level... which is no surprise as she comes from a family of avid readers! We are very proud of her. She had a special movie night to celebrate her great work!!!!!

Luke continues to grow... and grow! I swear he grows by the day... and is pretty much in 18-24 month clothes... although I still put him in all the 12-18 month stuff too. He's up over 25 pounds... and is very TALL! He's not walking... and frankly not showing too much interest... when he DOES try to walk, it's only sideways. Think of a crab!!!! Because the only motion he does go in when he's in a walking position, is around furniture, I'm convinced he thinks that's how you are supposed to walk. He had no desire to take off on his own. He doesn't try to stand on his own. When do I get concerned? ;-)

Scott and I are both busy at work... things are crazy around here and I think we are all feeling the stress of the state of our economy. While we are SO VERY lucky to have jobs it seems, I feel like I live in fear all the time for what might be! I have never felt like this before. It's a very odd feeling. I think it's just the state of being right now. Things are bad.. and I don't think we all even realize how very bad they are or could be!

We are trying to tighten our spending a bit. We are not by nature big savers. :-) We are spenders.... but we are trying to make better choices lately. This is of course much harder for me because I AM A SHOPPER... but even I can make some cuts in this time of trouble.

Still, I am thankful for our jobs and what we have. We are better off than many.... I daresay, than most!

Beyond the job-related anxiety... I think I am also feeling the winter blues. I so desperately want to get the hell out of this state and spend even a short time someplace warm and sunny, but that doesn't go along with our cutting back mentality, now does it? :-) We do want to do Vegas and that is a pretty cheap trip considering we would have free lodging and not spend too much on food if we ate most meals at my mom's. Flights are pretty decent too.... but listen to me justifying! HA!

I am just in need of spring!!!!!!!!! Why oh why did that damn groundhog have to see his shadow? ;-)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey There...Monday afternoon and I am in a Podunk motel in Watson Lake YT, Canada (look it up on the map)....but they DO have wireless internet (SURPRISE!!!). Dave is taking a well-deserved snooze. He just drove 7 hours, stopping only for gas, through the mountains with snow...and NO ONE around for HUNDREDS of miles...AND no cell phone service...kinda scary....Anyway..love catching up with you via the Blog...let me know the dates of your flights to Vegas as soon as you can! Love you...Mom