Friday, December 21, 2012

Ready for Christmas?

So... are you "ready for Christmas?" Do you have all your gifts purchased? Wrapped? Cookies made? Food and drink purchased and/or made for the gatherings???

About this time each year, I find myself about 95% ready/done.  There are ALWAYS last minute additions to the kids' piles next to the tree. That's just how we roll. Scott already informed me he went out today and got them both a few more things. Our children will not suffer a lack of gifts this year. They never do. That's one thing we like to do... we really get a lot of joy out of making their Christmas extra special and that comes in many ways.... but a big way for us is so to shower them with gifts. Right or wrong... it's what we do.

I'm a gift person. I love gifts.  I love giving and receiving them.  When I read the seven love languages it's easy to see where I fit in with regard to how I like to give and receive love.  I love gifts.

I got to buy gifts for 10 nieces and nephews this year.... or adopted nieces and nephews. :-)  I love this. In addition to my kids' toys... I get to pick out just one thing perfect for each of them. Something always strikes me that way. More often than not I feel "this is just perfect for......" and I am so happy that I found just that for someone.

I adore buying gifts.

I love overhearing someone wants something and running out and getting it.  I pay attention to details all year long just to buy something extra special.  I'm a good gift giver if I do say so myself.

Last year Ally said it was her very best Christmas yet.... that Santa brought her everything she asked for.... albeit an item or two that she instantly determined she did not need.  I hope she feels the same this year. I have a feeling she will. :-)

I also recognize I am abundantly blessed with an ability by give and buy gifts. I am fortunate... we are fortunate. I am thankful for these blessings... and I hope I pay it forward enough to show that gratitude.

I love paying my cleaning lady double this week... over-tipping my hair dresser.... finding the perfect makeup bag for my makeup artist.... giving a gift card to Luke's teachers.... bracelets (Stella and Dot of course) for all of Ally's...... taking the good bottle of wine to the mom's Christmas party tonite.... giving our good, good friends a case of wine because we drink theirs plenty we get together so much.

We are blessed and this time of the year reminds me of all of that. Family. Friends. My kids.

Yesterday was Luke's birthday. We had an amazing day that I promise to write about. Ally had her Christmas concert.  I cannot express what this is like to a parent/person who doesn't have a child at our school.  It's the most magical thing we do at our school.  I cry every year. It alone, is worth the price of tuition.  ;-)

I love our Christmas concert.  It was the perfect end to a little boy's birthday.

We have been having a glorious holiday season thus far.......... so much more to come!  This weekend we will travel to Scott's Uncle's in Howell to visit with his extended family that we don't see often enough.  Christmas Eve, we will go to mass and see my family at my Grandma's house for dinner after.  Christmas Day will be spent at home and with Scott's side at his parents' house.  My brother, sister-in-law and niece will arrive to stay through new year's not long after Christmas Day. We will see my extended family on my step-dad's (and late step-dad's) side the weekend after Christmas.  My mom will have ALL of her kids... real, step and otherwise.... gathered together at the same time.  It's going to be a lovely gathering for all.  We will see my dad, step mom and siblings on that side sometime when Dave and Mary are up here as well!

Of course, we have CUZIN'S NIGHT!  As always..... a bit of crazy fun in there... some shotski's and a bar crawl. Our youngest cousin is 21.  We are all in for this event.  :-)

I hope to see some special friends over the holidays. I hope to have some crazy nights out with my favorite crazy peeps.  I love the gatherings. I love getting together. It always turns out that we have the perfect amount of down time and crazy family time it seems.  I love that balance.

Christmas morning is always spent at home.... gifts with the kids... breakfast that others are more than welcome to join for ... but we want to be home, in our own house with our immediate family.

I love this time of year.......... I cannot wait for the fun to really begin!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I don't even mind that I have a bunch of last minute things to do. Nothing seems to be stressing me out really.  I have a new job, a wonderful hubby, a mom who is back in town and great friends to thank for that. I love my support system..... and I love the life we have all built thus far.

A new year to come soon my friends!  How exciting is that??? :-)

1 comment:

Kathy said...

Wow....that's all I can say is Wow!!!! I love you honey...