Sunday, January 20, 2013

Gymnastics and the Return of Nicole....

So. It's been a while. Sorry.  I totally got called out on my lack of blogging by my own Grandma!  Can't let Grandma down.... so I better get back on it!  ;-)

I haven't blogged since before Christmas.... and even then, I feel like I've been remiss in regularly documenting what's been going on. It happens. Life gets busy. We've had a lot going on.... who doesn't?

December brought with it a new job.... birthdays for Luke and I. The holidays. Out of town guests.  January is Ally and Scott's birthday month.  More activity than I can keep up with sometimes. The start of Ally's gymnastics season.  And the continuation of what really is still a very new job.

About the job:  I still go to work each day and feel like I am just "playing."  It's all so new and so fun.... so different.... that it doesn't seem real and even when it does... it doesn't feel like work at all. I am blessed to have the experience.  So far, it has been, by far, a great decision and turning point in my life.  Love the new challenge.

I don't know if I will ever catch up and blog Christmas complete with pictures.  In talking with my Grandma when we discussed my lack of blogging, I decided that in order to not feel overwhelmed, I would just have to pick up from here and move forward.  Trying to play catch up would just be too much.

That said, our Christmas was lovely. The kids were spoiled rotten by us, by Santa, and by our friends and family. We had a lot of down time together as Scott was able to take two weeks off. I still worked, but the days were few and the time is short.  It didn't feel like I missed out at all... and Scott was home with the kids while they were off... until the first of the year that is. Then, they had a few days with Nana and Papa.

My brother, Mary and Maggie paid us a visit.... it is always so nice to spend time with them. The kids had so much fun playing the days away together while they were here. We even had a huge family gathering with all my step-siblings and their kids... and my Mom and Dave.

Now we are back in the swing of school and work.  We celebrated Scott's birthday this past week with a family dinner at home.  He got a juicer as his big gift and has been enjoying juicing everything under the sun. We are all enjoying the fruits (and vegetables!) of his bday gift!  Yum!!!!

Ally had her first gymnastics meet of the 2013 season. This is the first year she is competing for real and with scores. Last year she competed "Fun 4" and only did "Fun Meets" for ribbons. This year, she receives scores for her routines. She is competing Xcel level "Gold" - which is an alternative program to the USGA Jr. Olympic Levels. In our gym, the girls actually do both or go back and forth, depending on what the coach thinks they're ready for. I don't understand the ins and outs... all I know is Ally is happy and loving what she's doing... so that's enough for me.  Her coach is great and cares about her girls. It's fun to watch and be a part of.

The meet was so much fun. Long (a grueling 6 hours at the gym!) but fun.  Ally was just so so excited for the meet.... and I was excited for her, albeit a tad nervous and anxious for her to simply do well enough that she felt she tried her best.

Ally started out on floor this time around.  A good place for her to start as it's a fave event.  She did really well. Her floor routine is to "We're Off to See the Wizard" from the Wizard of Oz. It's a pretty cute little routine.  Vault was next... and event not quite her fave. She landed her first vault, but her second didn't go so well and she went off the side of the horse.  She had a GREAT attitude about it.... and laughed it off. Something so great to see. She yelled up to me in the stands "I did a great vault for me Mommy!"

I was so proud of not only her athletic ability, but her attitude. She was having a blast out there.

Bars came next.... and she did the best bar routine she can do. Her score didn't reflect what she did in my opinion.... but I'm her mom.  ;-)  She doesn't have her kip yet... so she gets a big ole reduction for that.... but other than that... it was flawless.  She did her fly-away and stuck the landing. She was pretty happy with herself after.... I could see that from where I sat.

Beam was last.  It got interesting... the entire rest of the meet was over.... and our four girls from the gym had to perform their routines with everyone watching them... there wasn't a single event going on... every gymnast was watching... everyone in the stands. I am almost positive Ally wasn't aware of this though....

She rocked that beam. A wobble here and there... but she did not fall off... she landed her cartwheel, her turns and her jumps. She received a great score and I could see she was beaming by this point. She was loving this meet.

She was able to come off for a moment and visit with us before awards.  She told me she scored "over an 8 on everything" and for this she was very, very proud.  It's funny... I watched her scores and could have cared less about them.  All I wanted to see was a smile on her face as she finished each event. And I did.  Like her Aunt Elizabeth said time and time again yesterday "I think Ally is the best gymnast out there."  I love having Elizabeth at the meets. She makes me happy and is a wonderful side kick.  ;-)

In the end.... Ally did medal on beam.  I think she was surprised... but I did have a feeling she might as she did so very well on the event. She took fourth on beam... and the smile on her face was worth the price of admission.  :-)

It was a great, great day......  Ally has found something she is not only passionate about, but that she has FUN with. I could not ask for more.

My favorite things - Ally looking up for me and waving and being silly every once in a while... gymnasts hugging one another after every event.... giant smiles after completing events.... hugs from family.... the sign her Aunt Elizabeth made and Sydney and Luke held proudly.... how badly Luke wanted her to get a medal... and how truly proud of her he was.




















1 comment:

Alberta said...

Yea Nicka...you did listen to me...I missed your blogs since I don't have that 'FACEBOOK' stuff...CONGRATS Ally...saw those pictures, great job...Gramma told me about your meet...Enjoy your blogs ...love Gramma/Baci