So.... since Luke did SO much better today than yesterday (when I dropped him at preschool), I am thinking that the third time will be the charm. Tomorrow he won't shed a tear!!!! This could be totally wishful thinking, but I'm gonna go with it. ;-)
I could tell he was more comfortable today. Yes, he still cried... but he sometimes still cried when I dropped him off at Nana and Papa's! The little man just loves his mommy. What can I say? ;-)
Yesterday he talked on and on about the stops sign, the rope, and the picture he painted. He wants to know why we don't have paint at home. He announced numerous times "I like to paint Mommy!!" Yes, dear, I know you do... and Mommy loves it when you paint at school.... it's so much less messy for Mommy that way! (terrible mom moment)
I think he's going to do so well...... he's made two little friends... Joey and Jack. Jack is his twin. They even have the same lunch box.... an elephant. Super cute. I know both Joey's and Jack's parents. I love this. Next week Nolan will join them... hopefully they will all get along well... they all seem to be laid back boys... on the quiet side and no one is pushy at all. This is a good thing for Luke. He doesn't have a super strong personality. Nope... he has a sister to fill that role.... and a big cousin.... ;-)
This is the first thing that is all for Luke. His school. His playground. He's big on pointing that out to Ally. Yes, he does want to go to Ally's school... he constantly says "when I'm older I will go to Ally's school Mommy, but that's really far away..." But, he likes that now, he has his own thing. And Ally is happy to ask him about 'his' school... and his day.... I overheard them talking the past couple days.... he loves to talk to her about school. It's adorable.
Then, there's Ally - pull up to school, jump out of car. Run back to car... "oops - forgot to say goodbye Mommy.... goodbye!" HAHA!!!! That's my girl...... I know she's having a great day. She was so looking forward to the first full day. Lunch. Recess. Uniforms. Happy girl.......
Many people have asked me recently about school.... about how you choose a school for your kids. Public. Private. Charter. So many choices. It's a huge decision. It weighs on a parent's mind. It can take years to really decide. To know. My advice is always this: Go with what you KNOW. Visit a ton. Visit them all. And simply go with what you are comfortable with. For me... that was what I knew. The type of school I grew up in. A Catholic school.
We are not super-duper religious. But, I like exposing my children to religion... exposing them to spirituality. Giving them something to believe in. But... again, that's how I grew up. It's my level of comfort... and therefore, it works for me.
If you, the mom, want to be involved, send your child to the type of school you went to. This is the best advice I can give you. You will be more likely to volunteer... to be present.... to understand the ins and outs of your kids' days! This will bring you closer to your kids... keep you involved with their daily life. They won't see having mom (or dad!) around as an intrusion, they will be used to it.
Ally LOVES that I am on the PTO - that I volunteer at almost all her events.... that I am running her Brownie troop.... that I was her room mom (can't this year - too many other committments!). She isn't embarrased of me... she wants me around... she is proud of me.... and that is the best feeling in the world (as a mom)!
So... put aside all those other jaded views you have of schools... and go with your gut. Go with what you know. What you understand... and choose what will make you get involved and be present in your kids edcuation and lives. It's different for everyone! So find your fit. Forcing yourself to fit elsewhere won't work... so do what feels best and you can't go wrong!!!!!!!!!
My soapbox for the day....... ;-)
3 comments:
Love it!
Nika..so glad your involved in class, girl scouts, etc.
beautiful story on 2nd school day, look forward to the 3rd day. Love
Gramsmiascib
Glad school is going well!! I couldn't agree more about choosing a school. We had a really hard time picking a preschool for L a couple years ago. We visited a whole bunch and finally found THE one. Everything about it just felt right. You definitely have to go with your gut/heart on this one! Hope this is the beginning of a great year for you and your kiddos!
Post a Comment